Review by OneNerdyMomma -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OneNerdyMomma
Currently Reading: The Magicians
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onenerdymomma.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review by OneNerdyMomma -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by OneNerdyMomma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo's Raven, by Linnea Tanner, follows a young Celtic warrior on a journey of self discovery. After having an ominous vision of impending war, Catrin feels compelled to fight for the truth, no matter what her family believes. With her kingdom facing threats from all side, Catrin is determined to do everything with her power to save her the ones she loves.

This book is fairly well written. There were only a few poorly worded sentences that I had to reread to fully understand what Tanner meant. I loved Catrin. She was a very strong-willed, honest and independent girl who was constantly underestimated. Catrin fights for what she believes in and trusts her gut. We should all aim to be more like her. While she is naive, she is also young and that should is to be expected. This story had some unexpected twists that I enjoyed, and some rather gruesome scenes. Tanner did an excellent job of describing the gore without making me nauseous. Just enough to set the scene. I appreciate that.

Marcellus, the main male character, is an interesting man. I can never fully decide if I like to trust him. In that regard, Tanner did a great job with him. Romans are always stabbing each other in the back, so it stands to reason that this Roman would be no different. If he had just been an honest, trustworthy and straightforward guy, it would not have been believable.

It took a little while for this book to get moving. I was about a quarter of the way through it before I started to genuinely care about the characters. Once the story got moving, though, I couldn't put it down! Tanner attempts a few sex scenes, but falls short. It feels like she's not very comfortable with writing the scenes and wanted to get them over with quickly. Some scenes felt very awkward, while others seemed more clinical. They were decent, but clearly not the author's forte.

Tanner created a unique world with this book. There's a wonderful balance between what is historically accurate and fantasy. That is not an easy line to walk, but Tanner does it with grace and ease.

This is a great book for anyone who enjoys a little magic with their historical fiction. I appreciated the author's efforts to maintain social accuracies. The Romans treated women as lesser beings meant to be used and discarded, while the Celts treated women as equals. As a historian (of sorts) I respect the honesty and historical accuracy of it. As a woman, I wanted to punch the Senator in the throat many times. I enjoyed this story and I'm anxious to dive into the sequel to learn what happens next after that intense cliffhanger!

This book a 3 out of 4 stars

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like OneNerdyMomma's review? Post a comment saying so!
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

Thank you for this review. I found it really interesting. I will definitely give this book a read.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really like how you describe Catrin as fighting for the truth no matter what her family things. The author did a great job of portraying her character. Too bad you can't travel back time to deliver that punch!
OneNerdyMomma

Post by OneNerdyMomma »

kdstrack wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 21:44 Too bad you can't travel back time to deliver that punch!
Wouldn't it be awesome if we could though! That would be fan-freaking-tastic
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

OneNerdyMomma wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 21:45
kdstrack wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 21:44 Too bad you can't travel back time to deliver that punch!
Wouldn't it be awesome if we could though! That would be fan-freaking-tastic
But there would have to traffic lanes so we would be bumping into all the people going back and forth!!
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review. I’ve been considering choosing this book, and with this review I can see what about the book draws me in and what shortcomings to look for.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
OneNerdyMomma

Post by OneNerdyMomma »

Irene C wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 16:15 Thanks for this review. I’ve been considering choosing this book, and with this review I can see what about the book draws me in and what shortcomings to look for.
You should definitely give it a try! It's a good one.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”