Review by Ferdinand_otieno -- 30th Century: Escape

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Review by Ferdinand_otieno -- 30th Century: Escape

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

[Following is a volunteer review of "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin is a science fiction thriller. It is the first book in Mark Kingston Levin's 30th Century Trilogy. The trilogy was inspired by new science created by the author in the field of cosmology known as dark energy. The book is set in the year thirtieth century and follows the escape of the protagonist, Captain Jennifer Hero, as she escapes to the 21st century. The story is told from the protagonist's perspective.

Captain Jennifer Hero is on the verge of departing on a time-sensitive mission from the 30th century to the 27th century. The mission is to save humankind from the Syndos, but she hands over command to Commander Kylie Brown. The reason she gives is that she will not be able to make the trip and with destruction around her, she sets upon the escape plan she had devised for herself. She uses the Trans-Time One to escape to the 21st century hoping to live out the rest of her life there. She unfortunately lands herself on the deserted Mururoa Atoll. After four months, she gets rescued by a research team headed by professor Martin Zitonick (Marty). She finds herself claiming amnesia and trying her best not to reveal that she is from the future. When Jennifer gets to the mainland, she gets lucky and finds herself to have the same name and resemblance as a young woman who had disappeared with her parents years earlier. Assuming the life of the missing Jennifer, she has new problems to struggle with. Will she be discovered to be an imposter to the real Jennifer Hero? Where is Jennifer Hero and her parents? Will she confides in anyone that she is from the future? Will Commander Kylie succeed on her mission to save humankind? All these questions will be answered in this amazing book.

The main theme I encountered in this book was secrecy. Jennifer has many secrets she is keeping from her new friends. She does not tell them that she is from the future, how she can know the amazing thing she knows or what she can do and what she knows of humankind's extinction. She also hid her plans to escape to the 21st century from her friend Kylie and has led her to believe that she is dead. The other themes I encountered in this book were: trust, loyalty, betrayal and desperation. The author uses these themes masterfully to not only make the characters interesting, but to also make the plot memorable.

The character development in this book was written masterfully. Jennifer is an interesting character from the beginning of the book. She is enormously brave and courageous on her missions in the thirtieth century, but she becomes meek and afraid after she escapes in order to hide her identity. The constant threat of discovery and exposure is the main driving force for her actions. Jennifer exhibits bouts of reckless bravery and sacrifice in her new life that helped me understand that she could never stop being the heroine she was in her time. The amazing character development, the amazing heroine protagonist and the mesmerizing plot made me compare this book to Janet Mcnulty's Solaris Seethes.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because the plot was mesmerizing and captivating and I found myself finishing the book in two days. The characters were developed masterfully and always kept me wanting to read just a little bit more. I did not encounter any spelling mistakes and this maintained the magic of the story. The only thing I did not like about this book was the undue pressure it placed on the author for the sequel.

I would recommend this book to all science fiction thriller fans. The author uses an engaging writing style that keeps the attention of the reader. I wanted to preserve the story by reading slowly, but the suspense drove my pace and I finished the book all too quickly. I found this book to be a masterpiece and I look forward to reading more of this story in the sequel.

30th Century: Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ferdinand_otieno's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

What an interesting, detailed, and well-written review. I feel like I have read the book already! Thanks for the review.
enkagai
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by enkagai »

I'm so encouraged by this review that I can not wait to lay my hands on this book. My heart has a true connection to fiction and I'll definitely go through it wholesomely.
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

I'm currently reading this book. This review is really helpful. Thank you for this. :D
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

Nice review. I read the first ten pages and Ithe looks and sounds like a good book for me to read.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the book immensely.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

That is a great review. Well thought out. I am interested in the book
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

Not exactly my kind of book but the review is great and at least I've gotten some insight of what the book is all about. I'm not promising to read it but I'll try my best to take a look at the first ten pages and I might even go further than that.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

You were quite lucky to read the book while it was under the book of the month discussion forum.
The review is a good one. I felt that you must have left out one prominent item that was being part of the discussion.
Otherwise I would commend you for a good review
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I enjoyed this book as well. The adventures are amazing and it is very interesting and also for gaining knowledge.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
mrbukuen
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Rocky</a>
Currently Reading: Death on Demand
Bookshelf Size: 117

Post by mrbukuen »

Hopefully, I'm going to read this book. The review of the book makes me developed interest in it.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

All the best to the erotic science fiction readers. I pass.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Although Science Fiction is not my favorite genre, but a well-woven plot and mesmerizing characters make it interesting. Thanks for the insightful review.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I love books that I can read and not put them down. Female protagonists make me go crazy. Thank you for the detailed review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A science fiction thriller revolving around a time-sensitive mission to save humankind sounds exciting. Good characters development, good plot, action, and good writing are the marks of a good book. I understand that the book contains some explicit content, so it isn't for me. I am glad you enjoyed it, though. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”