Review by ireadiread -- The Dancing Barber by AC Michael

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ireadiread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ireadiread.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Review by ireadiread -- The Dancing Barber by AC Michael

Post by ireadiread »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rating 3 out of 4

I initially thought I wouldn't be able to finish this book as it started off quite slow for me. However it quickly picked up and became very interesting with the author talking about Ukraine and what happened there in the 1930s as well as England quite some time after that. It educated me while at the same time, entertaining me in a way that stimulated my mind.

The Dancing barber is split into 6 acts and explores the complex and very little known famine of Ukraine in 1933 (Holodomor). The book is set in Stalin's Soviet Ukraine and in England thirty years later. It begins by introducing us to a few characters that turn out to be interconnected in various ways; Taras who is the main character manages to leave Ukraine and go to England only to have Klem show up and threaten his rosy existence. He can't seem to be able to escape the reality of being Ukrainian even after managing to survive the atrocities of the country he once called home.

The book begins with vivid imagery of a man lying facedown in a puddle of cold water. It talks freely of the trials of man and the relationships that define him. The author explores the differences between the Ukrainians living in England at the time and the British and manages to give hilarious commentary on their differences that ultimately make the book so enjoyable to read.

I particularly enjoyed the way the author gave each character a real but complex range of personality and engaged the readers emotions on every level.
The author also has a way of making you feel like you are witnessing the real life of a real person; giving you insight on characters' thoughts and emotions that are often overlooked by many authors. I found the characters very interesting and sometimes quite eccentric. I quite enjoyed the way the author keeps vividly describing bodily functions. It gives the books characters a certain real quality that one doesn't, often times, find. Like seeing an actor going to the bathroom in a love story.

I can confidently say that though the book began a bit slow, after that there was not a dull moment throughout this book and I honestly could not put it down once I began reading it. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical thrillers or just well written books.

The Dancing Barber
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ireadiread's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

This is a wonderful review. I've read another review on this book and both of your reviews lead me to believe I would really love this book. It sounds charming and funny. Thank you for your insightful review!
ireadiread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ireadiread.html

Post by ireadiread »

thank you! I'm glad ☺
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thank you for this review. It sounds like a really original book and strong characters are a must for me, so this seems like a good next read.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”