Review by Makellos -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Makellos
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makellos.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Review by Makellos -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Makellos » 23 Jul 2017, 19:49

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'm always a little skeptical of books that deal with theology. It is a wide universe full of lots of opinions that are often not backed with a lot of evidence. This book was little different. If you say something is based on interpretation of another book, then citations of the original work should be used. This book is based on the first book of the Bible, Genesis. The author was discussing his theories behind why we feel self-conscious about being naked in front of others. He based most of his theories out of his retelling of Genesis, rather than the actual text.

This leads to my second issue with this book, which is the extent of the "creative license" that was taken. There are portions which I won't go into which makes the account of Genesis seem to be more of a Rom-Com than an actual account. This is frustrating for a book that claims to be "non-fiction". It's also frustrating when you read it looking for some theological insight into the issue at hand, nakedness. The amount of actual scripture used versus the amount of allegory portrayed is nearly 4 to 1.

With my complaints out of the way, I have to admit the book was well written in terms of structure and vocabulary. The author did a good job keeping it from seeming too heavy and too far above the average person's head. The vocabulary was good for just about any one who completed 8th grade to read and understand. His ideas were portrayed very well and easily understood. If he used extravagant words, he explained the concepts. The author did not make the sound as though he was talking down to his readers, which with this topic is easy to do.

The author made his work flow nicely. It took me roughly 4-5 hours to read the entire book. It flowed well and read very easily. He did not put in superfluous comments or side-remarks. He kept on task and the readability of his work showed it.

With all this said this book got a 2 out of 4 stars. It was easily understood and portrayed. However, with the lack of evidence and citation, as well as the excessive "creative license" it was not one of my favorite. While I appreciate it's readability and the way that the author kept on track; it was a real bummer to me that there was more allegory than actual discussion of the topic.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Makellos's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”