Review by Momiji1987 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Review by Momiji1987 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? Is described by author William Combs as:
a refreshing re-examination of one tumultuous afternoon in the Garden of Eden [that] will forever change the way you look at sin and salvation.
It begins with a brief, engaging introduction that transports the reader back in time to the author’s childhood and his first experience with finding light in the darkness. This simple theme carries on into each subsequent chapter and takes the reader on a journey of discovery that completely lives up to the author’s claim that your perspective will be “forever changed” by what you learn. I was spellbound by the author’s effortless ability to break down complex theological arguments and present them in a way that was easy to digest and also compelling. I wouldn’t generally classify a non-fiction book as a page-turner, but this author’s extensive knowledge of biblical lore, thematics, and engaging storytelling left me eager to begin each new chapter—even as my mind was buzzing with the exciting revelations I had learned from the last.

Each of the 10 chapters is jamb-packed with revelatory lessons and concepts the author wishes to convey by utilizing a variety of techniques that keep you interested and never bored. The brief vignettes are well-written and descriptive, allowing you to feel as if you are present; watching, feeling and experiencing Adam’s, Eve’s and others’ thoughts and emotions. The author’s commentary helps explain the illustration in each vignette and key points of his argument via relevant scriptural passages that tie it all together. Later on he replaces vignettes with personal testimonies, and connects his earlier concepts to the teachings of Jesus. The author expertly explores and enlightens you to both Old and New Testament concepts such as sin and faith—topics we think we understand but really don’t—and provides an informative critique of traditional theological arguments by exposing the flaws in modern interpretations of scripture that pervades the church.

I was initially thrown off by the very first vignette which describes a hypothetical “day in the life” of Adam, his thoughts, feelings, and activities. I thought maybe this approach risked being problematic for the author and could be misconstrued by other theologians and wannabe Bible experts as “adding to” the Bible, which the Bible explicitly warns against. However, upon further reading, I could think of no better way for the author to introduce his perspective of the events in Genesis—and how that contrasts with typical theological interpretations—than to read a snippet of engaging prose.

The first six chapters all build up to an epic climax in chapter seven. This is the highlight of the book because you finally see how everything comes together. It is so well written it felt like I had discovered a secret Bible decoder that transformed my entire perspective and, just like the introduction promised, enlightened the darkness of my biblical understanding. Not only that, I felt like I had discovered a deeper understanding of myself and my relationship with God; this was both an unexpected development and an added bonus.

Each chapter ends with a list of study questions that remind the reader of the topics discussed and encourage deeper thought on the subject; they also help reveal gaps in your understanding of the chapter which can simplify finding areas you need to review. The text is very professionally edited; I only noticed two small typos, but was otherwise very impressed with the layout and readability. The endnotes are also well worth reading as they provide the author’s abundant research and additional commentary he couldn’t fit in the book. The final three chapters add additional details and advice for how to implement your newfound perspective into your life, and in the end acts as a form of spiritual rebirth by the time you reach the last page.

Who Told You That You Were Naked? sets a high bar for itself, but does not disappoint. I rate it a 4 out of 4 stars. Theologians, church leaders and truth-seekers alike should all invest their time in this amazing, transformative piece of biblical education. The author is clearly knowledgeable—as his theological degrees can attest—but his approach is friendly, easy to understand and engaging in its creativity. This book is well worth re-reading for the wealth of information it reveals and should be a part of every Bible enthusiasts’ shelf.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Great review Momiji1987. If I hadn't read the book before I would read it now because of your review. Combs does illuminate familiar scriptures and makes you reevaluate what you learned. As a self proclaimed nerd, I love when books make me think.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Me too! Thank you for your comments, this is definitely an intellectual book with so many hidden gems to explore.
othusitse
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50265">WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-othusitse.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by othusitse »

Wow great review, i like very much that you outline the fact that the author breaks down complex theological arguments. I believe in this age and time there are a lot of commentaries against what is written in scripture, which may seem to contradict especially when relating the new and old covenant.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

othusitse wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 17:32 Wow great review, i like very much that you outline the fact that the author breaks down complex theological arguments. I believe in this age and time there are a lot of commentaries against what is written in scripture, which may seem to contradict especially when relating the new and old covenant.
I couldn’t agree more! This author makes it easy to understand what each side believes so I greatly appreciate that. It’s a very interesting book to read!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

A very detailed review. Great minds think alike. I've also reviewed this book and it sounds great. Good job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”