Review by Kyle789 -- Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kyle789
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle789.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review by Kyle789 -- Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by Kyle789 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reading the book Gates to Tangier wasn’t as good as I had thought it would be based on the description and title. Despite this, It was a little interesting in wanting to find out about how the journey that the family takes in order to find their brother turned out. It does raise good points about the way people view life and what I thought I knew about the religions other than my own. There were three moments where I had been awestruck because I never expected the turn of events that the author pulled on us where he spiced up the book.

The story is about a family that comes together, after their father had died, for the reading of his will. In the reading they find out that in order for them to get their inheritance, they must find their half-brother that their father had that nobody knew about. The author tries to create a lot of suspense throughout the book but with the sub chapters and a lot of the time the characters thoughts drift to their dead brother I felt confusion rather than suspense.

It was difficult to follow the flow of the book. The author had sub chapters but in creating those sub chapters, he made following the story even more difficult. I understand he tried to give the point of view from all the characters that play an important role in the book but when reading from one of the characters perspective I would only be able to decipher who was speaking when I had read quite a bit of the chapter.

The author made some good points about the way some people in parts of the world think and have extreme bias and hate or dislike others just for different beliefs, values and/or religion. It was certainly interesting learning a little about Jewish history and even gaining a perspective of what some Jewish people would think now days in relevance to the past.

Overall I learnt a few things and there are some points that the author touched on that make you think on your own views and life. The book had an accruing error, it might be the download that I had but there was an error where an example would be “ap-artment” that had more than a few times in the book.

Gates to Tangier wasn’t very climatic to me and I am sorry to say boring for the most part except for a few highlights. I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Maybe others would find this book more interesting but it wasn’t my cup of tea.

Gates to Tangier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Kyle789's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”