Review by AYISHA_ASH -- My Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AYISHA_ASH
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-ash.html
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon

Review by AYISHA_ASH -- My Trip to Adele

Post by AYISHA_ASH »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My trip to Adele has three different sets of central characters all suffering from difficulties in life. They are united in their love for Adele. The book follows their journey to attend an Adele concert in Vienna as part of her recently released album ‘25’. First off, we are introduced to Elias. Elias is a young man who falls in love with a prostitute named Malika. When Elias discovers she is a minor of only thirteen years, he panics and flees to Rome. Malika tries to learn English by listening to Adele’s songs so that she can talk with Elias. This happens eight years back from the current setting. Now, after a session with a fortune teller, Elias decides to go back Marrakesh in search for her.

Next,we are introduced to Nadia and Waleed, a mother-son duo. Nadia is a doting single mother who is battling her ex-husband in court to secure freedom for herself and her son. Her son adores Adele and she wishes to take him to attend the concert in Verona. After some terrible incidents, her vindictive ex-husband puts her in a difficult predicament and she has to attend the concert without her son.

Finally, we have Mariam and Yaser, a married couple who are going through a difficult time in their marriage. Their counsellor suggests them to find a special moment together, to revive and feel it again. Yaser had first proposed Mariam with an Adele song playing in the background. So he buys tickets for the Adele concert.

I enjoyed how the three stories are beautifully woven around the concert. The book has depth and life. Each chapter is named after an Adele song and at the end of every chapter has lyrics from that song. Those words convey melancholy and meaning, as if they were specially written for the characters in the story. I especially loved the final chapter which combines the three stories together beautifully.

The characters are well-written and enjoyable. My personal favourite is Nadia. In a man’s world, she stands up against her ex-husband. She defies tribal and social customs to fight for her son. That takes a lot of courage. Elias’ story was a bit confusing until he explains who Malika really is. Yaser is an atheist and Mariam is very religious. A lot of their issues arises from this difference. Yaser finds it hard to adjust with Mariam, but after a while I felt that he was too whiny.

The authors’ writing style is engaging and easy to follow. The book is a translation from their original work in Arabic and contains some grammatical errors. I believe conversation between some characters are a bit too formal than was intended. This could be attributed to the literal translation. Overall, the book is a pleasant read. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

My Trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AYISHA_ASH's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Wow, how different! Stories written around an Adele concert. As an Adele fan I have to read this! From your review I gather that each of the three stories are deep and meaningful. I hope it is not a somber book though, I'll take your word for it when you say that it is a pleasant read. Thanks for the review. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
AYISHA_ASH
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-ash.html

Post by AYISHA_ASH »

I am glad you found it helpful. :) Hope you enjoy reading the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”