Review by AlwaysWorthIt -- The 11.05 Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AlwaysWorthIt
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Review by AlwaysWorthIt -- The 11.05 Murders

Post by AlwaysWorthIt » 10 Apr 2017, 15:17

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

11:05 Tuesday evening a murder occurs. 11:05 Tuesday evening a murder occurs. 11:05 Tuesday evening a murder occurs. Coincidence? The evidence points to no, but also says so much, that Serious Crimes Team is on overload. Why are so many people connected to this case? Why is no one connected to everything? Why is someone targeting the Detective or is it the Sergeant? There are many questions left unanswered and the Serious Crimes Team is getting frustrated and pulled into many different directions. As a new female Sergeant on a Serious Crimes Team of all males, Sergeant Stewart has her work cut out for her. Although, someone seems to be making it awfully easy for her. Her new suitor? The killer? A teammate?

All the links, yet none of its linking exactly right. I quite relished in how accurate the story was in the evidence and how it created links. In the real world, there is much evidence and that evidence links to many things. However, until that one significant piece of evidence is found, none of the links may make any sense and many of them may be coincidental. Just as it all does in Brian O'Hare's book.

As a reader, I was not disappointed in the background that was created for the new Sergeant as well as how it made her who she is. It made for a remarkable story in her personally growth as a new team member.

Understanding that the story is a procedural crime, I did not enjoy that the story still seemed to crawl a bit. There were parts that were expanded upon, that in the end seemed a bit useless. Comprehending that the reasoning was to keep the reader on their toes so that the reader had no idea who was the real murder among the persons of interest. Even though this was necessary to an extent, it was difficult to keep wanting to pick up the book given how slow it seemed to progress.

I was a little disappointed by the cliff hanger on the secondary crime. The author goes into great detail during this piece throughout the book, but by the end there is no true conclusion. As a reader, you are left hanging as to the results of this. This makes the book feel as though there are two stories in one, yet one was incomplete.

There were only a few grammatical errors, but otherwise very well written. Given the story keeps the reader on their toes with a thrilling new crime, but does so in a somewhat slow and incomplete manner, I would rate The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare a 3 out of 4 stars.

Do you enjoy watching CSI? NCIS? Bones? Or any other crime thrilling procedural show on the market? Love the twists? Encouraged by the unknowns? Then this book is most definitely for you. On the other hand, if you do not enjoy the little bits on how to catch a murder or anything gory for that matter, I would recommend not only a different book, but a genre as well.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like AlwaysWorthIt's review? Post a comment saying so!
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Izesicle
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle » 23 Jul 2017, 09:02

I like procedural and crime mystery a lot myself. I rated the novel two out of four stars.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”