Review by mratdegraff91 -- An Obstinate Vanity

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Review by mratdegraff91 -- An Obstinate Vanity

Post by mratdegraff91 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Obstinate Vanity" by Keddie Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Obstinate Vanity by Keddie Hughes

This debut novel by Keddie Hughes speaks of one woman’s struggle to realize there is more to life than beauty. This Glasgow native has written a beautiful story on Beth Colquhoun who is a very successful and gorgeous Chief Executive of the Agency located in Glasgow. Beth is determined to show the world that women are equal to men and strives to prove they can work just as hard and be successful. Beth wakes up one morning to realize she has Bell’s Palsy, a paralysis of the facial nerve caused by a virus, and her entire world turns upside down. People now stare at her, are afraid of her and avoid her. This puts more stress than her ever demanding job does on her shoulders and it gets even more stressful when her company awards the Young Entrepreneurs award to a young man whose father so happens to be an ex love interest. She is now faced with meeting this man whom she has not seen in over twenty years.

Dougie, Beth’s ex love, lives with his son and runs an oyster farm in the town of Skye. Skye is close to Glasgow and he has no idea that he is fixing to be pushed back into his old love affair. He risks losing all he has to make his son happy and allow him to begin a small company selling dried sea weed as a replacement for salt. It is with his son’s new business that his world gets turned inside out to change for the better. As he learns to let go and adapt things begin to spark between him and Beth.

As the story unfolds things heat up between the two and hearts are broken. Beth continues to struggle with her Palsy and leads a company, but betrayal comes from the most unlikeliest of places and once again she is in a whirlwind of craziness. I will not be sharing any spoilers but the ending was quiet surprising.

I really enjoyed the storyline that Author Keddie Hughes uses. I like that the main character is a strong female role and that she shares the scars of her success. It relates to the real world in that it points out the flaws with our cultures in that so many people feel that they must play games to reach high-ranking positions. I also really like how after all that happened Beth still came out on top.

Another thing I liked is how she incorporated Bell’s Palsy into the main characters theme. I felt that this gave Beth an ulterior edge and really had me hooked. It showed that her character had more inner strength than most women do. It also let me learn a lot about the condition itself. It made the story more exciting.

Something that really bothered me about this book were the small errors throughout. I found several places where words were left out or an s needed to be added to the end of words. I know that this book is written by an author that does not use some of the same words we do here in the U.S. but leaving words out makes me feel that she was rushing or that the editor failed to find them. I still greatly enjoyed the book and would definitely recommend it to friends especially since I felt it really focused on how beauty is not all there is to a successful woman. This is why I give it a 3 out of 4 stars. If the author were to have the book re-edited and the errors fixed I would definitely increase it to a 4.

For me this book was easy to read. I feel that it could be easily read and enjoyed by many other individuals no matter what age. It did not have over the top language that was difficult to understand and it allows one to be whisked away into another culture. I felt the author described her home very well. Thank you for writing this lovely book.

An Obstinate Vanity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mratdegraff91's review? Post a comment saying so!
Madison Degraffenreid
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I enjoyed this review. I find Keddie Hughes's protagonist, Beth, in An Obstinate Vanity very interesting. She is a very strong character; courageous, focused, hardworking, undaunted and admirable.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Good job and well done to the author of this wonderful book. I may have to read it myself too.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Frankibaalano
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Frankibaalano »

The review and concise and interesting. Reading the review has ignited an interest to go ahead and get the book. I believe An Obstinate Vanity is a great book which i would recommend to all ladies especially those with low self esteem to read.
Great work by Kiddie Hughes.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

This is a wonderful review. Thanks very much. I do wonder what the author was trying to do when he tried to make Beth lower herself to be man's equal. The female half of our race is clearly superior, so this seems to be a step backwards!!!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”