Review of Tour of Duty

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Umida Kholmatova
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umida-kholmatova.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review of Tour of Duty

Post by Umida Kholmatova »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tour of Duty" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Tour of Duty by William H. Coles can serve as a reminder of those people whose lives and work, their dedication, and belief made the world better. Miles Ballard, a U.S. Military doctor, is drafted to serve in France. From the first day, he faces challenges. Some citizens don’t like Americans. He learns that the truth about genocide is deemed to be fake for some reason Miles can’t understand. Many doctors die simply because they are not trained.

He zealously fights for justice and tries to prove that necessary for doctors’ survival courses should be held despite the tight budget. But on his way stands Commander Springer. He stubbornly denies the budget approval, and covers his son’s terrible crimes. That is what Miles can’t accept and does everything possible to bring the miscreant to justice.

The book describes the horrible scenes of humanity's past; the holocaust, the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp, the ethnic cleansing plans, the anguish people felt after many decades since the war had stopped. It warns us that if we don’t remember what had happened, if we listen to those who falsely profess that the Holocaust never happened, we might witness such terrible events in the future. At the same time, there are individual stories - stories that might seem so small in comparison with those mascaras. Yet, they are so depressing, that I saw millions of sufferings in one life; a woman who was raped and killed herself and her children, or a doctor who was forced to give false evidence, or a commander always taking sides of his relatives - they were all real people who came out of the book pages like ghosts.

I can’t find anything I didn’t like in the book. On the contrary, there are many aspects I liked. I liked how the book depicted the atmosphere of the 1960; its greyness was felt throughout the pages. I felt I was there with them, in the middle of rubbles, demolished houses and curvy, muddy roads. The dialogues were written in the manner of that time. Their choices of action were like signposts leading me to that era of a cold after war period. Also, I enjoyed guessing about the character’s way of thinking, their choices of action.

I rate Tour of Duty by William H. Coles 5 out 5 stars , thanks to its educational and historical value. I do believe that a book should teach people to become better, and this book serves the purpose and warns everyone who we are and who we can turn into if the past is erased from our memory. I would like to stress on this point, that I am not for resurfacing the horrible events that happened to millions of innocent people, but I am for the ‘keeping fingers on the pulse,’ and warn, warn everyone of the ramification of neglect.

I recommend this book to the readers from age 15 and older, because it contains some scenes the young minds may not be ready to understand. Teenagers, on the other hand, are highly recommended to read the book for the reasons written above.

Tour of Duty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

There's forget and forgive. It should be to forgive but not to forget the past or it's lessons. Thank you for the informative review! A book that shares the past horrors and atrocities faced by humanity. These stories will make us remember that it's real and it happened and never forget it.
Joshua Olayomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestwriter77.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Joshua Olayomi »

It's great to see a reviewer appreciate the author's dedication to reminding readers of the importance of individual actions in making the world a better place.

I appreciate the attention given to the character of Miles Ballard and his struggles as a military doctor in France.thanks
Bianca Morano
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Post by Bianca Morano »

History should be used as a moral lesson not to repeat past mistakes. I do not support the forgive-and-forget logic, as there are some things in life that even a sorry can't be applicable. The story of this book should be a lesson for future generations to become better. I totally agree with the message of the reviewer of this book.
Umida Kholmatova
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umida-kholmatova.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Umida Kholmatova »

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your comments.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

Sounds like the scenes from humanity's past would make for heavy reading. It's so important that we remember them though so we ensure that we never repeat them again. It sounds like it is a really informative book.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
abhishekThakur08
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by abhishekThakur08 »

William H. Coles' "Tour of Duty" is a compelling and thought-provoking book that explores the intricacies of responsibility, morality, and the effects of one's decisions. Dr. Doolittle "Doc" Delray, the protagonist, is beautifully woven into Coles' story, which transports readers on an extraordinary trip through his life.
Although the novel is set in a time of war, it is not just a tale of heroic deeds and battles. Coles instead concentrates on the moral struggles Doc encounters while working as a military surgeon in a conflict area. Due to the author's experience as a surgeon, the story's medical elements have an unmatched level of realism, which results in a vivid and accurate depiction of the difficulties experienced by medical practitioners in such settings.
Characters in "Tour of Duty" are well-developed and have several dimensions, which is one of its strongest points. Doc is a complicated main character, divided between his responsibility to rescue lives and the moral dilemmas that emerge during times of war. Readers will identify with his personal challenges and get emotionally immersed in his path because of this.
JC Michaelz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jc-michaelz.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by JC Michaelz »

It warns us that if we don’t remember what had happened, if we listen to those who falsely profess that the Holocaust never happened, we might witness such terrible events in the future. This statement caught my attention. It's an amazing review I will say and I like category the reviewer recommended the book to.
Ibrahim Hammed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahim-hammed.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ibrahim Hammed »

Your enthusiasm for the book spreads quickly. I'm interested in this book because of your enthusiasm for the plot and characters.
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Nancy004 »

I appreciate the meticulous and knowledgeable nature of your book review. The depiction of the horrors of war and the resulting devastation, as well as the suffering endured by women and children, deeply affects me. This book appears to encompass all of these aspects, and you have skillfully incorporated them into your review. It's refreshing to witness the reviewer's dedication matching that of the author's in crafting the book. This compellingly motivates me to explore the book myself. Thank you insightful review.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

It's important to remember the past to add value to the present. Your review was well-written and captivating. I can't wait to read more of your reviews.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-indiana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Wayne Indiana »

Your enthusiasm for the book spreads quickly. I'm interested in this book because of your enthusiasm for the plot and characters. This is an awesome review that has touched on all the areas that I think influence a person's decision to choose a book. Great work by the way. Your review was well-written and captivating. I can't wait to read more of your reviews.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”