Review of The Seventh Spark

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Review of The Seventh Spark

Post by Fareed Regal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Seventh Spark" by J.B. Lion.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This fantasy story starts in the Third Age when man was created. In the First Age, the fantasy world was inhabited by angels only, and this was followed by the Second Age where aliens were introduced. Humans existed across twelve planets. As humans were inferior to angels and demons, each planet was protected by an angel. These angels were hand-picked by Archangel Michael, from hundreds of thousands of angels in heaven, and formed The Knights of the Everlasting Order. When the knights and the demons battle each other, they take on a human form or the form of any other living being.

The seven stones, which signify man's virtues and goodness, were embedded deep into the core of each of the twelve planets. Although humans had free will to choose between good and evil, it was the duty of the twelve knights to ensure that the balance was never tipped in the favor of evil. The knights were also obligated to ensure that they did not try to change the course of events if led by humans.

I found The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion, to be a fascinating read. Although this was only a BETA version, there was enough in the content to suggest further stories of titanic battles, and acts of betrayal, that will keep the reader's attention. The layout of the book follows an open book style, but this did not detract from the fact that the narrative was easy to read and follow. Even the use of an italic cursive style of writing did not detract from the reading experience. The artwork was brilliant, with vivid colors and form depiction, bringing the characters to life. The switch to a comic book style of illustration in black and white, when the knights were in a dialogue, I found to be very creative and clever.

The only concern I have with the narrative is the different dialects used by the knights when having their dialogue. This might be difficult to follow for mainly younger users. The editing was very sound, and I only found two errors to report on.

My rating for this tale of fantasy is five out of five stars. I think the author was very brave in adopting the style of writing and storytelling that he did. My initial feeling was that maybe he was trying too many different things in one swoop, but it all comes together well enough to deserve this rating.

On the assumption that the rest of the book will follow the solid foundation of the BETA version, I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy this genre of Sci-fi fantasy. I would also recommend this to an age group that is 14+ with no cap on age. The reason is that many people grew up reading comic books, and a dose of nostalgia in your older years could be quite a fun time.

The Seventh Spark
View: on Bookshelves
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an ambition novel, but one that was pulled off successfully. I can see how the comic-book style would complement this fantasy story. I may have to check it out once its release is rolled out. Thank you for your excellent review and recommendation!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

MsH2k wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 16:54 This sounds like an ambition novel, but one that was pulled off successfully. I can see how the comic-book style would complement this fantasy story. I may have to check it out once its release is rolled out. Thank you for your excellent review and recommendation!
Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I have no doubt it will be a fun read when completed.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”