Review of Twisted Threads

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of Twisted Threads

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Twisted Threads is an intricate murder mystery written by Kaylin McFarren. It is a thrilling story filled with action, suspense, and sensual romance. Twenty-five-year-old Akira Sato had always dreamed of being a renowned geiko in Japan. Unfortunately, she got mixed up with the yakuza. Akira trained and became an assassin as part of her debt to pay the Zakura-kai, a notorious Japanese family. Kaito Mitsui tasked her with her last obligation before earning her freedom. She had to vet and kill the murderer of Mitsui’s sister aboard the Starfish cruise ship in the Caribbean. She boarded the ship disguised as Akira Hamada, a beautiful tourist. A Zakura-kai “cleaner” named Takashi Hamada posed as her father and supervised the mission. However, things were not as they seemed on the ship. People started to disappear, multiple murders took place, and the relationships of the passengers were all twisted up in a tangled web. Who murdered Mitsui’s sister? Who was the other killer on board? Would Akira ever gain her freedom and find love and happiness?

As I read through the book, I noted many positive aspects. The vast array of credible characters was impressive. Akira Sato was talented, beautiful, and fierce. She had to watch out for Yuki Ota, a conniving, treacherous member of the Zakura-kai. Takashi Hamada was a quiet, serious, dangerous man. The assassin’s target was either an unhappy British gallery owner named Paul Lyons or his insufferable, demanding wife, Sara. Their nephew, Devon Lyons, was a handsome, cavalier treasure hunter who quickly became enraptured by Akira. There were several more interesting people to meet aboard the ship. I also loved the unpredictable plot. The title Twisted Threads reflected the complex network of people and their stories. I never knew what to expect, and I was surprised by several subplot turns. The author did a commendable job weaving a tremendous amount of mystery and suspense together throughout the book.

Although I was rooting for the relationship between Akira and Devon, it developed at an unbelievable speed. It seemed like they spent almost every waking moment together, and I thought Devon’s controlling manner would eventually suffocate Akira. However, they were equally enamored with each other. The sexual scenes were quite steamy and too explicit for my taste. Their intense feelings for each other were overwhelming. But in the end, their relationship won me over, and I hoped for a happy ending. Some readers have stated that this is a stand-alone book. Although, I wish that I had read the previous books in the series to learn the characters' backstories and better understand the plot. It would be beneficial to read the books in chronological order.

I confidently rate Twisted Threads with 5 out of 5 stars. Kaylin McFarren wrote a captivating story with a fast-paced plot. She created an eclectic group of characters that made me laugh, blush, cringe, and tremble. The text had a limited number of grammar errors and was well-edited.

I recommend this book to mature adults. The story included adultery, violence, and murder. Sensitive readers may not appreciate the high level of profanity or explicit sexual content. This book is for you if you are interested in mystery books filled with revenge, intrigue, and steamy romance.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Awesomely Awkward Dating Tips for Beginners by Tina Kowalski

Post by Hager Salem »

Talented, beautiful and feirce is the perfect combination for a female character for me. Interested now.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I read this book, too, and I agree with you partially. I think it can be read as a standalone, but the reading experience would be hugely enriched by reading the other installments. I loved that you mentioned the character cast because it was my favorite part. Everyone's so eccentric, and the locked-room (locked cruise?) mystery even gave me Agatha Christie vibes.
Loved your review, my friend!
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

I really like your mature adults recommendation - which I appreciate. Great summary with good details.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I have read some of the series and I can honestly say that these are intense books. I read this and Severed Threads. Akira is almost a superheroine,
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Alice Festo
Favorite Book: Deceitful Survival
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-festo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Alice Festo »

When beauty, romance, and murder mix one can almost predict a fatal end. I hope that Akira and Devon's love triumphed in the end.
I like the mystery part, that way it keeps one focused on the book, making it an exciting read.
Great review.
julesbritton
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by julesbritton »

This review makes the book sound interesting, well written, and entertaining. Some would be drawn to read it and others would not due to it’s explicit nature.
Darin Erickson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Oxygen Advantage
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Darin Erickson »

A murder mystery on a cruise ship sounds like a good read. I liked the book reviewer's description of the various characters in the book. I am sure this book would hold my attention with the dangerous members of the yakuza amidst the tourists on the boat. Thanks for a great overview; this one's going on my reading list.
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

Great review! It sounds like my kind of book. Definitely going to read this.
Rosandra Hosein
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Nancy004 »

Thank you for your detailed and insightful review of "Twisted Threads." Your praise for the captivating plot, unpredictable twists, and well-developed characters is well-founded. While some aspects may not be for everyone, your recommendation to mature readers who enjoy mystery, intrigue, and steamy romance is valuable. Keep up the great reviews!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”