Review of Nightlord: Sunset

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jenni Schmitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenni-schmitt.html
Latest Review: Nowhere to Hide by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Nightlord: Sunset

Post by Jenni Schmitt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Most of us have had a night or two at the bar which has caused problems that linger. In Garon Whited's Nightlord: Sunset we are introduced to Eric after one such evening. After waking, nude, in a strange female's bed, he and his life begin quick, dramatic changes. While beginning to adjust to being a daywalker, Eric's new lover, Sasha, is murdered. He soon realizes an organization is out to kill him as well.

He embarks on an ill-constructed plan to avenge this agency's actions against him, his lover, and his best friend and finds himself travelling through a doorway from modern earth, to a medieval-type world where vampires have been apparently eradicated.

With the assistance of a a woman he rescues from abuse, Eric the professor becomes Halar the Wizard, called to replace the wizard to the baron of Baret. Now known as Halar the Knight-Wizard, Eric continues his epic adventure while often distracted from his main mission: ending the Church crusade against his kind, and avenging Sasha's murder.

This is the beginning of an excellent adventure saga. The story itself is amazing, but the aspect I found most enjoyable was the cast of characters. Eric's journey from quiet Freshman physics professor to not-quite-bloodthirsty nightlord is amusing. With the aid of his fire-breathing, metallic steed, Bronze, and his dragon-hearted sword, Firebrand, Sir Halar's expedition collects a variety of both magical and mundane characters. Sir Halar's loyal retainers include humans, elves, orcs, and other creatures. He makes many friends and allies during his journey. He also enjoys a relationship with Tamara, the last Fire Witch, another enemy of the Church.

On the negative side, though the book moves along quickly, I can't call it a fast read as it is over one thousand pages. It is the first in the series of at least seven. Readers with religious sensitivities may take offense at the way the Church is depicted. There are also many mentions of sex, some of it violent. There are several scenes of descriptive violence and death.

I cannot help but give Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited a perfect five out of five stars. I enjoyed everything about this novel, and began the second in the series immediately. This is an exceptionally well-edited book, as I never lost track of the story line, despite its length.

I recommend this story to lovers of action, adventure and magic. Readers who enjoy fantasy will particularly enjoy this novel. Horror fans and those who enjoy new vampire lore will also find much to appreciate.

Nightlord: Sunset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I never thought that I’d be interested in stories about vampires or zombies. I have just finished my second series about zombies and so I think this will be the vampire series to start with.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”