Review of The House of Spark

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of The House of Spark

Post by Online Concept »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The House of Spark" by Luminita Laflash.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The narrative begins with a woman shouting and pleading with the president amid a throng. As the Securitate(a term used for secret police) drags her away, she cries out for assistance. The president instructed his men to turn around just as she was about to be dragged out of sight, but he couldn't figure out why he felt compelled to assist this woman. What was she seeking? Why did she put herself in danger to try and get his attention? This is followed by another tale about a man named Jenica, who receives tickets to attend a concert at the Athenaeum with his girlfriend, Virginia. They were supposed to meet at the Athenaeum on Friday, but Virginia waits in vain because Jenica never appears. She starts to worry about his disappearance and joins his friend in a search to find him. She learns that there is a lot about Jenica that she doesn't know. What might have caused his disappearance? What information did Jenica withhold from his pals?

There were just 157 pages in this book. The House of Spark by Luminita Laflash is filled with suspense and is written in an easy-to-understand style. The tale in this novel keeps you wondering what might happen next at every turn. The revelation of Jenica's secrets captivated me. I was also taken aback by his ability to conceal this from his friends and even his girlfriend, whom he professed to love.

Despite being intriguing, this book had a somewhat flat feel to it; the writing seemed to flow without stirring up many strong feelings in the reader. This could be due to the book's pace; while the tale was interesting, it moved along rather quickly. Even though I read the entire book in one sitting, I was only able to appreciate it thanks to the way the author was able to keep the reader on edge. This book receives a rating of 3 out of 4 stars from me.

The aforementioned issue is the reason for the reduction of one star. I didn't like Jenica's father's fury either. Despite having a lovely, devoted wife, he treated her in a rather patronizing way. I would have wanted to see him get his temper under control. I only found a few typos in this book, which indicates that it was professionally edited. It has very little swearing and no explicit sexual material.

I'd recommend this book to people who enjoy romantic novels, political activism, and suspenseful thrillers. This book would also appeal to older teens.

The House of Spark
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html

Post by Online Concept »

This was an amazing read, I like how the mystery of Jenica's disappearance unravelled. Pls do leave a comment, thanks.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Your review is apt and interesting. I hope to read the book the turnouts of events you mentioned in your review. Wonderful review welldone!!!
Chinasa Deborah
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinasa-deborah.html

Post by Chinasa Deborah »

Your review has me hooked. inspired me to read the book. I adore novels in this category.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

I like suspense books but I kept asking myself how a male will bear Jenica. It sounds femine and funny to me. But the book is awesome.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Your review is on point. I love suspense book likewise. This book made me realize that our friend might not really be our friend with a lot of secrets they have hidden with them. This story has a great plot.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

When I heard the title of this novel I thought it is a book in a historical genre that talks about the ancient time of Sparta but reading this review made things clear. It is a book with a political genre and the summary of this review appealed to me and make me second-guess myself about political genres. Nice review.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Chinex Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinex-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Chinex Otuokere »

This book sounds interesting. The fact that's a short read with so many events and suspense. Your review makes the book sound fun and I would love to read it someday.
Breedbee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breedbee.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Breedbee »

The writer makes good use of suspense to sustain the reader, that is one of the greatest tools. It makes the reader wants more and more. Great review!
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

You have written a lovely review. Sometimes we go the extra mile to do things for those we love, even if it might hurt us.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I have not read this before, but from the story plot it sounds interesting. Good job. I will try to read the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”