Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Ghoulem Berrah was born in Algeria when it wasn't an independent country. From a young age, he saw how the French conquerors oppressed his people. However, despite the difficulties he experienced, he got the opportunity to study medicine in France and achieved remarkable merits as a scientist in the United States. During his life, he was always enthusiastic about fighting for racial equality, justice, and the independence of Algeria. His dream of achieving peace in the world led him to work for the president of Côte d'Ivoire, Félix Houphouët-Boigny.

In A Dream For Peace, Berrah tells us in great detail about his efforts to resolve multiple conflicts in Africa. He witnessed the adversities faced by Algeria and other African countries to achieve independence. Working for Houphouët-Boigny, he had a more active role in the resolution of multiple political, social, and humanitarian problems. He also gives us his perspective on major conflicts in world history, such as the Cold War and the conflict between Palestine and Israel.

There are only positive things to say about Berrah; he was a generous man dedicated to Africa—his story is full of inspiring acts. I felt a lot of admiration for President Houphouët-Boigny: he always resolved conflicts peacefully. I loved that no room for doubt was left; the author provides emails, letters, and photographs to give authenticity to his story. The detailed way in which the author recounts his experiences is unmatched. I liked that the author shared plenty of information about his culture and the Côte d'Ivoire culture.

Although I liked the story of Berrah, the book has some negative aspects. Almost the entire book is about political, social, and armed conflicts; only a couple of chapters have personal issues. There are chapters with detailed political information mixed with trivial events; as a result, I found the content of the book unorganized. The book has a problem with chronology: in the first chapters, the events are told chronologically; however, in the last chapters, the chronology is lost. Lastly, this book is exhausting at times for the reason that multiple political events are covered at once.

Due to the problem with the chronology and the unorganized content, I deducted one star from the book: I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I found very few errors; the editor did a great job. Although the author is a devout Muslim, this book can be read by religious and non-religious alike. Since the work of Berrah and President Houphouët-Boigny was remarkable, I recommend this book to readers interested in political science.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

I read this book and I also found a lot of positive aspects. I liked in this book the courage that the author showed when he mentioned the background story of his marriage. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I love that the author shared so much about his culture. Great review.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

The author sounds like an inspiring man who has certainly seen a lot of historical events take place. It's too bad that the last part of the book wasn't as organized as the first part. Thanks for your excellent review!
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

Dr Ghoulem Berrah really lived an amazing life. His fight for a better Africa was both commendable and motivational. We need more people like him. Great review.
Natalie Sheph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-sheph.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natalie Sheph »

I love reading good memoirs about inspiring people. Thank you for your well-written review.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I've read this book and I absolutely loved it. Although I have a different opinion regarding your negative aspects, I enjoyed reading your review about the book and seeing it from a different perspective.
Nweze Raalchukwu1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nweze-raalchukwu1.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nweze Raalchukwu1 »

The book is a little to long for me. Good review!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”