Review of The Parrot's Perch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amarachi Nwankwo03
Currently Reading: Summer Showers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachinwankwo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of The Parrot's Perch

Post by Amarachi Nwankwo03 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Parrot's Perch" by Karen Keilt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before picking up this book, I had never heard, at least in such detail, about the 1964 Brazilian Revolution and the unbelievable corruption of the entire Brazilian justice system. To say that I'm shocked about the things I read is a gross underestimation. However, in addition to that, my heart goes out to the author, who, despite the unspeakable things she had to bear, was brave enough to relay her harrowing experience to the Brazilian National Truth Commission, and indeed the world, with the hopes of eliciting a much-needed change in the nation she knew and once loved.

It is genuinely shocking how one's life can change in a day. Life's uncertainty and fickleness were among the many things I learned from reading this book. Karen and Rick were asleep one faithful night when police officers invaded their home. They turned their entire house upside down, claiming that the couple had cocaine stashed in their home. What followed was an unlawful arrest, forty-five days of brutal torture, and two lives changed forever. The Parrot's Perch by Karen Keilt is an intense, accurate tale of suffering, brutality, and survival.

I decided to read this book because I wanted something out of my comfort zone. I looked at the book's synopsis and was immediately convinced. The story is a memoir written like fiction. I enjoyed the author's writing. It was engaging, descriptive, and gripping. Karen told her story fluidly, every chapter progressing smoothly into another. She first began by relating her childhood, describing her family's affluent lifestyle and the constant physical and verbal abuse she had to face from her father. He was strict and authoritative and led the family with an iron fist. She also lets us in on her dreams of becoming an Olympian, her dating life, and the journey to marrying her husband, Rick. I truly appreciate her honesty and openness. She takes us through the most horrifying events of her life, which she had bottled up for decades, most of these events were explicit and humiliating, and I can't imagine what it felt like reliving those horrible memories through her words. In a particular chapter, she describes pulling strips of her skin to chew to stay alive. Finally, by relating her story, she expounds on topics like Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), human rights violations, and several forms of abuse.

I noticed, however, that the author did not include any trigger warnings throughout this book. I felt that it was appropriate to do so, as sensitive readers might find the content of this book disturbing. This is the only slight, in my opinion, of this story. It had me spellbound for the days I spent reading it. I also spotted one error in the entire book, proving that it was professionally ended.

I would give this book a four out of four stars. I see no reason to award it a lesser rating. The author told her story bravely and exceptionally. This book is the type that stays with you for a while. Thank you, Karen, for sharing your story.

If you are a sensitive reader and cannot stomach descriptions of torture, rape, and violence, this is not your story. I would, however, recommend this book to people who like to read memoirs. Even if you don't, this book has so much to love. It contains elements of suspense and action that would appeal to many. It is also a great book to provide information on the Brazilian Revolution and the events that occur in the Brazilian justice system.

The Parrot's Perch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

It's unfortunate how life could turn out for some sometimes. It could be rosy for some and cruel for others. We just wish life doesn't get cruel to us. Nice review.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

I don't care what Karen and Rick must have done but having to search their house unlawfully and then going on to arrest them shows how corrupt the justice system of today can be.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

As much as I would love to know what happened to this author's hometown during the Brazilian revolution, I'm afraid I'm not comfortable with the themes of torture, rape, and violence. Nicely written.
Mozi Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

I can already feel how emotional this book would be. I'm curious to know what she underwent to make you write this way. Good review.
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

I have never heard of the 1964 Brazilian Revolution either. This book, The Parrot's Perch by Karen Keilt is one that I now look forward to reading. I like the passion which you used to write this review. Nice one!
Udegbunam Miriam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miami-liam.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Udegbunam Miriam »

Parrot's Perch was one of those books that engaged my emotions. I rejoiced with the love birds Karen and Rick. I was also saddened, angry, and disgusted by their treatment in the dungeon they were locked in. Interesting review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”