Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cynthia and Dan is a fictional story by Dorothy May Mercer. Cynthia (the main character) is the chief of security, investigator, and bodyguard for the senator, as well as a part-time receptionist, a job she kept as cover. Cynthia and Dan were two individuals that loved themselves so much until Cynthia cheated on Dan. The book's content kept going back and forth between Cynthia's love life and how her office, the Virginia private investigators, worked to prevent terrorist activities. As the story progressed, Cynthia met Sky, a navy major who was head over heels in love with her. The outcome of their first meeting is that Cynthia gets pregnant. She has betrayed her relationship with Dan. How will Cynthia open up to Dan about what transpired between her and Sky? Will she end the relationship with Dan and follow Sky? Will she decide to abort the pregnancy to prove her love for Dan? You will have to read this book to find out what happened.

An important takeaway from this book is that there is no point in starting something you know you will never finish. Just because a guy treated you nicely on a first date does not mean you should give in to their request. The luxurious treatment accorded to Cynthia by Sky was enough for her to forget about her date with her lover (Dan) that evening. She later engaged in an act with a stranger that resulted in her pregnancy. Fidelity is vital in maintaining relationships.

Also, through the content of this book, I can see how critical secret service work is in thwarting terrorist plans. Parts of the book talked about how a drone, flown into the White House under the radar by a terrorist cell, landed on the White House lawn. There was a belief that terrorists were attempting to test the system, possibly in preparation for an attack on the White House. In the end, the terrorists who sent in the drone were arrested and detained. Thanks to the work of the secret service.

Honestly, I enjoyed reading this book. The author is well skilled at describing scenarios and events with the perfect words. The book had a great storyline about the love and work-life of Cynthia. There is nothing I do not like about the book. Though I found minor typo errors in the book, the editors did great work with the proofreading. There is nothing negative enough in the book for me to deduct a star from my rating. I am giving this book a rating of four out of four stars.

I recommend this book to those interested in knowing how the government is helping fight terrorism. This book is about the work of the secret service; how they track terrorists' online activities. I admire the writer's clarity of thought and free flow of ideas. Finally, this book is a good read for lovers of fiction books. I don't recommend it to children due to the sexual content.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

What an intriguing investigative book! Cynthia and her team really worked so hard to curb the plan of those terrorists. On the hand, the love triangle between Cynthia, Dan, and Sky added more suspense to the book. Kudos on a great review.
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

The part that caught my interest was the part that mentioned how Cynthia was able to handle her love triangle and her job. Overall, the plot of this review was engaging. Well done.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Tosin-Le wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 04:02 What an intriguing investigative book! Cynthia and her team really worked so hard to curb the plan of those terrorists. On the hand, the love triangle between Cynthia, Dan, and Sky added more suspense to the book. Kudos on a great review.
This part got to me too. This book is just a good read
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

I like how you thoroughly reviewed this book. I have read this book and I must say I am of the same opinion with you. I enjoyed the cyber war, hacking and stopping the terrorists. Good one from the author.
Ronky279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronky279.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ronky279 »

Nice review. I will definitely read this book soonest. Congrats on it's publication
Bef Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

Cynthia had a great working technique. All her plans were so on point and very technical. It was fun reading your perspective of this book and I look forward to reading your reviews in the future.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

This is indeed an interesting book. I think the love triangle between Cynthia, Dan, and Sky is a very complicated one. I would definitely love to read this book. Nice review.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

How Cynthia and her team engaged in a cyber war to bring down terrorists that are a threat to their country is amazing. Thanks for the great review.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I recently read this book. Although I didn't like some plots contained in the book, generally it was fair. The concept of a cyberwar intrigued me.
Thera reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Thera reads »

Reading this book has made me much more aware of the dangers of cyber attacks and the importance of taking appropriate measures to protect myself and my business from such threats.
Ola-mind ojo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-mind-ojo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ola-mind ojo »

The book's content kept going back and forth between Cynthia's love life and how her office, the Virginia private investigators, worked to prevent terrorist activities.
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

I was particularly impressed by the author's ability to strike a balance between technical details and engaging storytelling. Nice review.
Raphael Raymondd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raphael-raymondd.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Raphael Raymondd »

This book is a testament to the power of love, resilience, and the unwavering human spirit even in the face of technological threats and acts of terror.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”