Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Sacred Tyrak by Aklin Reed

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dorothy May Mercer's Cynthia and Dan is a story about a group of people fighting a cyberwar against terrorist organizations. It is a suspense and thriller novel which will keep you engaged till the end.

On her way to work, Cynthia got caught in traffic, which lasted for a long time. As a chief security officer, she inquired as to what caused the traffic. She found out that an unknown drone had landed on the lawn of the White House. This was not a case to be treated easily as all the necessary forces were set in place to find out what the unknown drone was. Cynthia, for her part, assembled a team to fight a cyberwar against these terrorists who use the internet as a means to recruit youths. On the other hand, Cynthia was caught in the middle of having to choose between her long-time indecisive boyfriend, Dan, and the charming man, Sky, whom she met during the attack on the White House. Will she win this cyberwar against these terrorists? Who will she choose between Sky and Dan?

This was a suspense and thriller novel. I loved the pace and flow of the book. It had a great storyline, and the author did her best to carry the readers along. Apart from the whole cyberwar in this book, I learnt a moral about knowing what you want. Indecision is capable of denying one of the best things in life. Dan was indecisive and it cost him his relationship with Cynthia.

Firstly, I think the R-rated scene was unnecessary. I feel the author should have just used a general term to pass the message instead of going into all those details. This scene could limit the number of readers who can enjoy this book because not everyone is comfortable with an R-rated scene. Finally, I think Cynthia’s relationship developed too fast and was very questionable. It was questionable because Cynthia, who was a chief security officer, did not know the real identity of or even run a background check on Sky before going to bed with him. This undermines the image of the chief security officer that the author was trying to portray. 

Unfortunately, I will have to drop a rating from this book because of the things stated above and because I found some errors while reading it. I am rating it 3 out of 4 stars. This book was also professionally edited. I recommend this book to lovers of books related to cybercrime. Children should not be allowed to read this book because of the profanities and the R-rated scene in it.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

The author mentioned the sexual scenes beforehand so I didn't see this as a problem. I loved the romantic twist between Cynthia and her alleged lover, Dan.
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

I also feel the sexual scene in the book was unnecessary. The book had a nice storyline though. Your analysis of this book is thorough and professional. Keep it up.
George Baker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george-baker.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by George Baker »

A fascinating storyline that has no dull moment. I agree with you on the sexual scene. A nice review, though.
IconReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconreviews.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by IconReviews »

This seems like a really intense story about cyberwarfare and technology mixed with terrorism. It doesn't seem like a book I would read but your review a good job of selling the story
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

This is such an interesting summary. Although, I disagree with your sentiments. In my opinion, the sexual scenes were quite short and spiced up the whole plot. I don't think a little romance on the side affected the plot.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

This book was unique because of the aspect of cyber war it was a new thing I learnt. The political life of Cynthia was intriguing. Though I think the sex scene was a bit extreme. Thanks for the nice review.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Cynthia seems to be in the dilemma of choosing between Dan and Sky. I like terrorism novels coupled with suspense: the romance will even make the story more engaging. Thanks for the review.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

I can't wait to read this book. I have read a log of interesting reviews and opinions about it. Thanks for an interesting review.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

I loved the adequate suspense present in the book. And the character that fascinated me most was Sky Eastman. I loved everything he represented in the novel. Nice review!
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

This is one of the best book I've read this year. I love everything about this book starting from the plot, each characters especially the introduction of Sky Eastman, till the end of the cyberwar. Thanks for the amazing review.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

I love the themes explored in this novel, like cyberwar, patriotism, relationship, terrorism, and indecision. As for the R-rated scene, I believe the author has a solid reason for doing this.
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

Cynthia fascinated me so much. I liked reading her romance with Jack. The computer needs in the book also fascinated me. Nice review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”