Review of Saving the Front

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Saving the Front

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Saving the Front" by M.E. Gustafson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Saving the Front by M.E. Gustafson is a story on the contributions of Army Nurses throughout World War II. While in school, the author learned little or nothing about women's experience and military service during WWII. Her paternal grandmother, an army nurse, and other nurses' selflessness during WWII inspired her to write this book. To contribute to the war effort in Europe during World War II, Lieutenant Dorothea Oliver and the other four nurses—known as the Fort Riley Five—were sent there as members of the Army Nurse Corps. Some saw it as a service and were happy they were going to war; some felt it was an imposition. From the ship they boarded in New York to the coast of France and the battlefront, the Fort Riley five and other army nurses they met on board experienced life at sea during such a devastating war. This book tells of their encounters, courage, losses, fears, and wins.

I loved the way the writer was able to make the book an easy one to read and carry the reader along. It felt like I could see all that happened while reading. The book is another reminder that some warriors paid the price for the peace we currently enjoy. The simple prayer the main character said while she was about to go on board was short but carried a lot of weight. I also liked how the book portrayed nurses as more than just the skimpy clothes, wigs, and red lips we see. The experience of these nurses and other soldiers who count their lives as nothing is something that should be passed on from one generation to another so that they can be remembered and appreciated.

I disliked nothing about the book; the chapters were well arranged, the characters were well developed, and the book itself is a great read. I can imagine hearing the sounds of guns and bombs and seeing people die around me, and I still have the courage and strength to attend to wounded soldiers with low supplies instead of running or fainting. They are our real heroes and motivators.

As a war book, I expected many graphic scenes and profanity, but it was mild. Perhaps the writer did this because she didn't want to scare the readers or make the book less enjoyable. The book was professionally edited and does not contain sex scenes or speak ill of any religion. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of fiction, history books, soldiers, nurses, teachers, and readers of good books. I hope they enjoy the book and draw strength from it as I did.

Saving the Front
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ayesha Ameera Memon
Currently Reading: Culture Jock
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-ameera-memon.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Ayesha Ameera Memon »

I enjoy books that explore real life events like WW2 and tell a realistic story based on such events. Super excited to read this book! Thanks for the comment!
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

This is another way of seeing a war story. Your review is an inspiring one. I like it.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This book shows a rare hero of war; the nurses. It seems to be an interesting read.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Like the author, I didn’t realize that women played such an important role in WWII. I guess that I knew there had to be nurses, but that was not discussed in my history classes.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

I love reading book that talks about war, I enjoy it alot, your review has pique my interest in reading the book. Great review.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

The fact that the author wrote the book in a visual way where reader sees rather hear is an interesting thing about any book. I've actually read couple of books about WW, and i think i should pass this on
Cherybola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherybola.html
Latest Review: The Elephant Tooth of '95 by Rana Baydoun

Post by Cherybola »

The review of "Saving the Front" makes me want to pick up the book. The lives and feelings and roles of medical personnel and other departments not directly in the warfront is usually sidelined. It will be great to view the war from a medical personnel perspective. Well done reviewer.
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Precious Oba »

A story featuring women (nurses) and the indispensable role they played during WW II might not be so easy to come by. Kudos to the writer for bringing this to us.
Judith Donald
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-donald.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Judith Donald »

As a student in the health profession, I'm always glad to come across books that show the importance of the health profession especially its importance during the war. Thank you for an eye-opening review.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

Who would have thought that about the important roles medical workers played during the war. I like that the author shows the WW2 from such a unique perspective.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I feel uneasy when reading a book about war. I like that the graphic scenes in this book are mild. Thanks for the great review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

This could be sensitive and could be triggering for a particular audience. Nice book, but I think I'll pass on this one. You did justice to this review. Kudos.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

I am amazed by the author's story, and I will say the nurses are heroes as they worked at trying moments. Thanks for the great review.
Poetic Justice
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html

Post by Precious Oba »

World War II from the nurses' (women's) perspective is certainly a relevant perspective. There are so many accounts of the war without a significant mention of these brave women. The author has done well.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”