Review of The First Time Father

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Judy46
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Review of The First Time Father

Post by Judy46 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The First Time Father" by Alfie Thomas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Having a family comes with a lot of responsibilities, both financial, emotional, and physical. That is why, most of the time, orientation is essential for young couples who want to start one. Books on parenting are available in large quantities, but most of the time they focus on the expectant mother and leave little to no information for the soon-to-be father. The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas is a book about the author's own journey into fatherhood.

He begins by making an introduction in which he gives us an insight into how he was during his days as a bachelor. On one of these occasions, he is seen as grateful at the time that he had no such worries. We also see how everything changes when he marries Anna. Later on, they decide to start a family. He informs the reader about how necessary it is to make plans before thinking of starting a family. With the baby on the way, there are also some contingency plans in place, like baby proofing the house for safety, construction of a nursery, and preparation of a labor bag for the family.

I loved reading this book as it was very practical and realistic. The amount of research the author carried out is obvious in its pages. I also loved how the author penned down his experiences. Parenting is indeed a rollercoaster; there are days of high and days of low. The most important thing would be to tackle each step as it presents itself. This was very serious advice given early in the book, as one cannot be versed in everything. The author's writing style is incredible; he uses clear narratives to buttress his point. He also used simple vocabulary to convey his message; I believe anyone can understand this book.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. Everything that was talked about was necessary and could aid someone now or some time in the future. I loved this author's devotion to fatherhood. You could feel it from how he went out of his way to read books, accompany his wife to birthing classes, baby-proof the house, and even write a book to help others. 

The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas receives 4 out of 4 stars from me. I only came across a single error. This shows that it was professionally edited. I would recommend this book to young people; I believe they have a lot to learn from it. Would-be fathers should also pick this book up; it will aid their preparations.

The First Time Father
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

This is a book I would love to read as I plan to be a father soon, a first-time father!
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

Remarkable work by the author. It's true that there's a lot of material available for first time mothers, while it's quite rare to find the same for fathers. Who says fathers couldn't use a guide too?
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

Hmmm. I enjoyed reading your review. Fatherhood is not easy and I commend the author for sharing his experience.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Judith Donald
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-donald.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Judith Donald »

I agree with you that it is difficult at times to get books that solely speak on fatherhood. I enjoyed reading your review. Truly, family is a beautiful thing.
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

I agree with you. Although there are many books that talk about parenting, very few focus on the first time fathers. I would love to hear the story. I will definitely read this book. Thanks for the review.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

I love well researched books and I guess I would also enjoy the storyline of this book. Great review.
Poetic Justice
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

At the first sight of the cover page, I saw the responsibility of parents. I will love to read this book. Great review.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

I too found the book informative. It's a great guide for newbie parents. The author's tone was friendly and honest. You wrote an excellent review.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I agree that parenting comes with many great responsibilities. I do think that books about motherhood and mothering are aplenty because women are the ones that are mostly affected by childbirth and pregnancy. Nonetheless, we should not neglect on educating future fathers, especially those who are going to be a father for the first time. I think this would be a great book with simple narration that could be enjoyed by everyone.

Thank you so much for the review!
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

The best way to learn is from experience. This book based on experience is certainly no experience. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Ruth Frances A
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

Well, something about fatherhood at last. One may easily assume it is an obvious feat yet it isn’t. For many, this could be unchartered territory. Thank you for your review and it’s encouraging tone.
Sanju Lali
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A nice book on parenting looks very useful for young couples. Your insightful review made this book appealing to me.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

Books on parenting are available in large quantities, but most of the time they focus on the expectant mother and leave little to no information for the soon-to-be father.
Yes, it was lovely to see a book aimed at fathers to be. I enjoyed reading your review, including all the stages of preparation required and the invaluable advice the author shares. Great review, thank you Judy46.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

The author's work is outstanding. It's true that there's a lot of information available for first-time mothers, but it's much more difficult to find for fathers. Who says fathers can't benefit from a guide as well?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”