Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After going missing for a year, the court declares Randall Taylor dead. For research purposes, he had journeyed to Zona, a strange territory in Siberia that is supposedly non-existent. Randall's nephew, Dr Grant Taylor, travels to Saint Petersburg, Russia, to settle his uncle's affairs. When Grant discovers mysterious notes in his uncle's apartment, he realises that something is not quite right about his uncle's death—surrounded by people he cannot trust. Grant finds himself on a mission to search for his uncle without knowing what he might encounter.

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is an intriguing and well-written story. The book is suspenseful and will keep readers guessing until the very last page. The author's ability to describe the happenings in the book made it fun to read. I felt like I was there in the middle of everything. Each scene kept me curious about what was going to happen next. As we follow the story, we see how Grant and his crew get into the mysterious land and the strange things they encounter. They also encounter animals such as vicious dire wolves and sabre-toothed lions, as well as other intelligent mystical creatures. Reading about how these animals attacked these characters was terrifying for me. I was terrified and anxious as I prayed they would make it.

Grant's interaction with the wolf was my favourite part; it was suspenseful, and, at the climax, I wondered what the outcome of this human-to-animal relationship would be. In addition, the writer's use of Russian vocabulary made it more engaging and realistic; at the very least, I now understand a few Russian words and phrases. As a result of the superb depiction of the geographical setting, I felt as if I had had the same experience after reading the book. This was only possible because of the author's descriptive abilities.

I do not quite like how some characters had sexual relations with several partners. But I will not blame the characters because those acts were caused by a plant in Zona that releases pollen into the air. This pollen then makes the characters have intense sexual feelings.

The book was exceptionally edited; there were no errors in it.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of all the great qualities I have mentioned. I must add that I enjoyed the author's writing style, and his creative effort is commendable. I recommend this book to lovers of adventure, science fiction, and mystery.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Zona is an excellent book. Grant has a personality that I like except for his likeness to women. I enjoyed reading the book.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

I like suspenseful books. I am hoping that Grant will find the truth about his uncle.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

I read the book and I must say your review does absolute justice to the book. Zona is a truly unique publication.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Zona the forbidden land is a fascinating story that kept me intrigued till the last page. I love the character development and the author's descriptive style in describing Zona. Great review!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

It is great to note that the book was well written. Thanks for your honest review, welldone
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:

lumenchristi wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 11:49 Zona is an excellent book. Grant has a personality that I like except for his likeness to women. I enjoyed reading the book.
Thanks alot
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:

Francis_Reads wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 16:27 I like suspenseful books. I am hoping that Grant will find the truth about his uncle.
Thanks
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:

Oyedeji Funmilayo wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 20:08 It is great to note that the book was well written. Thanks for your honest review, welldone
Thanks for the comment
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

The plot sounds engaging and adventurous. The idea of a released pollen in Zona and its consequence on the characters sounds intriguing. Looking forward to reading it soon
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

The only part I didn't like in this book was Sky's obsession and straightforwardness. It didn't look real at all to me. Every other aspect of the book was excellent. Great job.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:

GNerd wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 04:25 The only part I didn't like in this book was Sky's obsession and straightforwardness. It didn't look real at all to me. Every other aspect of the book was excellent. Great job.
Thanks
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:

Gwrites208 wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 03:34 The plot sounds engaging and adventurous. The idea of a released pollen in Zona and its consequence on the characters sounds intriguing. Looking forward to reading it soon
Thanks alot
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Precious Oba »

It sounds like a fascinating adventure. But couldn't the pollen have had a different effect on the characters other than a sexual one. It would have been refreshing to experience something like a comic relief or some other interesting stuff in that part of the story. Our world is overly sexual...
Judith Donald
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-donald.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Judith Donald »

From your review, I can see that this book contains a lot of suspense and action. I look forward to reading it. Your review was nothing short of amazing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”