Review of World, Incorporated

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Danielle Briggs
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle-briggs.html
Latest Review: Moonlit Nights by Jacob Parr

Review of World, Incorporated

Post by Danielle Briggs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo is a dystopian science-fiction novel set in 2058. Prior to this year, the United States government had slowly been inching toward economic collapse with no solution plan in sight. After eventually hitting the breaking point, the government all but collapses, making way for "super-corporations" to take over. These super-corporations control everything in a person’s life while also competing with each other for their business.

World, Incorporated is one of these super-corporations and is willing to use any means necessary to get a leg up on their competitors. Agent Sliver is a cold, unfeeling hitman working for World, Incorporated to take out their current and potential threats. During one of these jobs, Silver meets Kelly, and for some reason, he is unable to get rid of her as he would have in the past. With no other choice but to bring her along, Sliver begins developing feelings and a moral compass with her around. He is forced to continue performing his job as normal while trying to keep Kelly’s presence and his new feelings a secret.

I loved Gariffo’s ability to portray a futuristic society in such a way to make it a believable possibility for the real future. It made the book much more haunting and thought-provoking. By starting the book in 2058 and having Kelly, as well as the readers, learn about how the world got to its current state through news articles and blogs was a great tactic. It allowed us to see the gradual change in the world beginning with today’s modern society as the world’s history which was very enjoyable and added to the believability of this future world. There were so many things that made it hard for me to put the book down. Because of the news articles, I found myself drawn in, wanting to see what was in store next for the failing government and citizens of the world. There was action and suspense on nearly every page, making me want to keep reading to find out what happens. I enjoyed Agent Silver’s complexity and development throughout the book.

I had no negatives about this book except that I wished it was longer! I had so many little, irrelevant questions about this future society. I found no errors and I believe it was exceptionally well edited. I would recommend this to readers that enjoy dystopian yet realistic science fiction novels. There is some profanity, so young readers or those easily offended might want to avoid this one.

I wholeheartedly give this a 4 out of 4. I loved this book from front to back and had no negatives. I look forward to reading more work from this author!

World, Incorporated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”