Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Review of Kalayla

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is a fictional novel that revolves around three well-rounded dimensional characters; Lena, Maureen, and Kalayla. Lena is a 72-year-old widow, who lost her two sons Mikie and Jimmy to the Vietnam war. When Lena meets Kalayla, she takes an interest in the young girl as she reminds her of her children when they were young. So when she sees Kalayla roaming the streets unsupervised, she decides to help Maureen in supervising the young girl so she does not end up in the bad company. Maureen is Kalayla's mom and a young widow who lost her husband in a car accident. After the death of her husband, Maureen decides to take up several jobs to fend for her daughter. And there is Kalayla, an eleven-year-old girl who is full of life. She is intelligent, self-reliant, and independent as she is capable of making her decisions. Even though Kalayla is apathetic, she proves to be good-hearted as she shows a soft spot towards Lena and her mother.

Kalayla is an interesting read. The book contains various themes such as racism, friendship, love, drama, and abuse. An example of such themes as friendship is shown between Lena and her friend Carlotta, Kalayla and her cousin Kieran. And racism is shown in Maureen's husband as Maureen was abandoned by her Irish family and friend for marrying a black guy. It is even shown in Kalayla's uncle Clarence who was bullied when he was a young boy and suffered a tumor due to racism. The book is narrated in the first-person point of view of each of the three main characters which makes it authentic.

The author used flashbacks to reveal the character's background stories hence making their actions understandable. An excellent example of such flashbacks was when the author showed us Lena's abusive marriage life as one of the reasons why she wore black clothes. What I liked most was how Jeannie developed her characters providing each with a unique personality, especially Kalayla. I liked the young girl's boldness and open-minded character as she was not scared to express herself.

Apart from the violence and sexual assaults I found while reading the book, there was nothing to dislike about it. Even though it was hard for me to read through such chapters that did not affect my enjoyment of this book. The book is an emotional narrative as I felt sad and at the same time laughed through certain parts of the book.

In my opinion, Kalayla deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because it is well-written and I found no grammatical errors while reading the book. The book is well-structured and written in an engaging and captivating manner. The author Jeannie also used a simple writing style that makes the book easy to read.

I recommend this book to readers interested in fictional novels and the genre of drama. This book is for a mature audience as it contains scenes of violence and a great deal of profanity and due to this, I don't recommend it to children below 18 years. People who are sensitive to topics such as racism, rape, abuse, and violence can find it uncomfortable to read this book. The book would also appeal to those interested in themes such as family drama and heart-warming stories.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

I was so impressed with Kalayla for organizing a party for her mother. Excellent review.
Gifty_biblophile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-biblophile.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Gifty_biblophile »

I have read this book and Elena was my favorite character. Thanks for this nice review.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

I really loved the Kalayla, she was so energetic and funny. In my opinion, Her relationship with lena is what stands out in the book. Nice review.
Ndagire Hassifah1

Gifty_biblophile wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 07:41 I have read this book and Elena was my favorite character. Thanks for this nice review.
What I liked about Lena was her caring nature. Thanks for the comment.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have read several reviews of this book. It's always fascinating to me that so many different people can read the same work and take away so many different things.
Ndagire Hassifah1

Chinonso Onwurah wrote: 23 May 2022, 11:25 I was so impressed with Kalayla for organizing a party for her mother. Excellent review.
It was really surprising to see her organize a party for her mother. Thanks for the comment.
Ndagire Hassifah1

Amy Luman wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 11:57 I have read several reviews of this book. It's always fascinating to me that so many different people can read the same work and take away so many different things.
I think it is because everyone saw this book in his own perspective. Thanks for the comment.
Ndagire Hassifah1

Oluwapelumi Rachael wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 06:08 I really loved the Kalayla, she was so energetic and funny. In my opinion, Her relationship with lena is what stands out in the book. Nice review.
I agree with you, for sure Kalayla's relationship with Lena was outstanding. Thanks for the comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”