Review of Killing Abel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Daniel Oluwabiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Killing Abel

Post by Daniel Oluwabiyi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Killing Abel by Michael Tieman is a fictional novel aimed at explaining the events that occurred from the creation of Man in the garden of Eden up till the events taking place after the flood. The Bible is a book bringing up controversial opinions as it doesn’t fully record every event that occurred in the past. Michael Tieman has taken it upon himself to fill these gaps with his imagination and this is what we see in the novel Killing Abel.
The book opens with Eve, Adam’s counterpart, standing by the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the garden. She is speaking with Lucifer, an angel sent from God to guide Adam and Eve through their first days on earth. Lucifer, in a bid to get Man away from God and to his side as he is planning a rebellion against God, coerces Eve into eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. God had instructed Adam to specifically keep away from this tree and disobeying God was sure to help Lucifer in his rebellious plan. Lucifer succeeded in causing Eve to eat the fruit and Even in turn seduced Adam into eating the fruit.

God is portrayed as a loving father in the book and after seeing the great sin man has committed, decides to banish man from the garden of Eden in Man’s interest. God is also faced with numerous decisions. Michael Tieman’s Killing Abel shows us how hard it must be for fathers to train their children as they are limited by the children’s decisions.

Many years later, Adam and Eve have begun to populate the earth and they have had two sons. Cain, their first son is a rebellious child with an unhealthy obsession with the tree of knowledge while Abel is all Adam hoped he would be: A child born of faith. The brother’s lifestyles differed but they were very close. However, after on dispute on the importance of sacrificing, Cain killed Abel in a fit of rage and was on the run from anyone who would want to avenge his brother. Would God have mercy on Cain? What would he do if he makes the wrong decision? Killing Abel by Michael Tieman answers these questions.

As a Christian, I enjoyed the book as it has given me another view of the actions of God. The author also made good use of bible references to correlate his story with its original. There were not many grammatical errors also.

The main characters of the book, Cain and Abel, have a very limited plot throughout the book as the book focuses mostly on Adam and Eve initially. This reduced my enjoyment of the book. Their characterization is also subpar.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was an enjoyable book nonetheless.

I recommend this book to devoted Christians looking to quench their curiosity for biblical mysteries. It is not for people who do not enjoy religious books.

Killing Abel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

This book is an interesting book. I got to see other possibilities of what happened with Adam and Eve, their children and Noah and the ark. Your review is on point. Nice one!
Goody2004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody2004.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Goody2004 »

Bible story plus fiction is going to be interesting indeed. I'll make time for this one.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

Killing Abel is a book that is a combination of the author's thoughts and passages from the book of Genesis in the Bible. I enjoyed reading the few bible passages that take on a life of their own and are fleshed out in the author's stories.Thanks for the lovely review
Boohoo31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boohoo31.html

Post by Boohoo31 »

Killing Abel is a great book, but i feel it has a lot of fiction added to the real story. Great job!
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

The historical veracity of any historical fiction is always limited by the author's knowledge and research. It's quite interesting to see that the author chose to write this book from God's perspective. Must have been quite the read.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

Is this book written based on research or imagination? I used to think it was research but your review says imagination, I'm confused.
Boohoo31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boohoo31.html

Post by Boohoo31 »

This book is an interesting book, and your review is on point. Great job!
IniOluwa N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inioluwa-n.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by IniOluwa N »

I love your view on the difficulties that fathers face in training their children and how limited they are, sometimes, by the choices that their children make. I think the book is founded on research, because there are some details contained in it that would've been impossible to pinpoint without thorough research. The imagination of the author is also quite evident. Well done with the review.
Stephanie Kanu
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Stephanie Kanu »

When research meets fiction, there's bound to be a boom!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book more than I can tell you. I'm not really happy you gave it 3 starts but oh well 😃.
Your review was very well written. I liked reading it.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Wow, I so much enjoy the book, it is my favorite book so far, the author was creative. Great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am in the camp that thinks anything not specifically recorded in the Bible is open to interpretation. I’m glad to hear that the passages have been thoroughly researched. In my opinion that gives much more authority to Mr. Tieman’s fictionalization.
Stephen Ogunwale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeyemi-stephen.html

Post by Stephen Ogunwale »

What a lovely book on the creation story. Though filled with lots of vague scenes. I bet you won't mind once you begin to flip the pages of the book.
Valar Morghulis, Valar Dohaerys. 🦅⚓🖤
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

As much as I like this book, some facts does not add up. But it’s okay though, it helps the readers visualize most of the scenes in the Bible.
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

The way the author shared a backdrop story to the creation of time and all that transpired between Adam and God was one that was educative and new, which I learnt from. Interesting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”