Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Daniel Oluwabiyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-profeddy05.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Kalayla

Post by Daniel Oluwabiyi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is a heartwarming novel about the interactions between the lives of three generations of women. Maureen is a 29-year-old widow who moves to Cambridge, Massachusetts in search of a fresh start to life alongside her 11-year-old daughter Kalayla, an energetic, independent and sharp-tongued young woman. Maureen and Kalayla rent an apartment owned by Lena who is a wealthy 72-year-old Italian woman but is also a widow. Maureen and Lena share a common characteristic: They are both unhappy due to their past. Lena lost two of her sons to the Vietnam war and another of her sons has seemingly disappeared from the face of the earth. Maureen however was ostracized from her family for following her heart and marrying a black man named Jamal. The novel opens on the aftermath of the death of Jamal and its impact on the lives of Maureen and Kalayla. Seeing as Kalayla is hardly under the supervision of her ever working mother, Lena takes it upon herself to be a guide to Kalayla to relieve the disoriented single mother while actively trying not to repeat the same mistakes she made with her children. These three women interact with each other and along the way, they find out they all need support from each other and discover family does not have to be blood-related only. There is also some hidden truth laying low in the novel. Will they be revealed and if so, what will be their effect in the worlds of these women?

I enjoyed reading Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas. The author did a splendid job of telling the story from the point of view of three main characters: Kalayla, Maureen and Lena with the occasional addition of Rico. I loved the way she aligned the timelines of events that involve these characters from each person’s point of view. I also enjoyed the way she organizes her flashbacks as they can occur as things as simple as getting lost in thought. Each character was given a distinct trait that is also useful in the development of the book later on where Kalayla is an out of control child and Lena is there to control her.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though there were a few minor editing errors that need to be worked on. However, the book was so good that it couldn’t disrupt my rating for the book

I am happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because there was no aspect of the book I disliked or felt like it was unnecessary.

I would recommend this book to mothers who feel like they are walking around blindly when it comes to their children. The book however has a good amount of profanity and sexual content and as such might not be good for a younger audience.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

Kalayla has been one of my favorite books since after reading it. Such a wonderful piece of art. Your review is interesting.
Oyedele Tomijane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cleverspider001.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Oyedele Tomijane »

Three different generations and the older generation trying not to repeat their mistakes. Plus it also focuses on the issue of racism. Seems like an interesting book. Thanks for the lovely review!
Boohoo31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boohoo31.html

Post by Boohoo31 »

Kalayla has been one of my favourite books. They all found a way to help each other out. Great job!
Stephen Ogunwale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeyemi-stephen.html

Post by Stephen Ogunwale »

Three ladies, with different pasts and awaiting futures. You don't want to miss this you all. Lovely review at that.
Valar Morghulis, Valar Dohaerys. 🦅⚓🖤
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

I share your sentiments on the story being told from three different perspectives. Great review.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

Thanks to Lena, or else how would have Maureen been able to take care of that witty and clever girl? Great review!
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

Kalayla is a smart kid and she deserves to know the truth despite her young age which I feel her mom should have told her. We also cannot take away the importance and help of an adult in solving and helping one through trying times. Interesting review!
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

The three women did what I like so much ' Teamwork ' and the love Lena gave to Kalayla and her mother is topnotch. Great review.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

I liked that Kalayla featured three women from different generations. I loved how the author weaved the lives of this three together to form an exciting story
Vivian Agenms
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Vivian Agenms »

I enjoyed reading your review and it's true family doesn't have to be by blood and these characters demonstrate that in this novel.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”