Review of A Fate Unwound Too Soon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Review of A Fate Unwound Too Soon

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Fate Unwound Too Soon" by anna-karen sorensen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anna-Karen Sorensen’s A Fate Unwound Too Soon is a book about and dedicated to premature babies. In it, Sorensen’s poetry details the feelings she, a NICU nurse, has for her little, vulnerable charges. Some of the poems are even tied to Sorensen’s faith and how that plays a role in her carrying out of her job.

As such, I think it deserves 4 out of 4 stars for what Sorensen is doing here. It’s beautifully written in a style that’s reminiscent of classical poetry. At times, it made me smile. At others, it made me want to cry for these tiny children she describes.

To get into why I liked this book so much, let me tell you about some of my favourite pieces contained within it. “The Prejudice of Memory” speaks to the beauty of a beloved baby in one’s mind, preserved even after death. This is then immediately followed by “Morning Dew” and its celebration of life. In addition to this, poems like “When I Gaze Upon Her” contain the poet’s awe at the sheer beauty of the life in her care. This shows just how blessed the parents of these children are.

These are, of course, just a few of the poems that touched my heart. A lot of them use angelic language to evoke a sort of religious and spiritual atmosphere. I think this is because the author wants to convey just how awe-inspiring it is to work with babies and the thing is, it works. There’s just something of the divine in these children, and I can feel it through Sorensen’s words about them.

Another reason I gave the book such a high rating is the way the poems are written. As I mentioned before, it makes me think of classical poetry when I read the book, giving it a sort of timeless feeling. I felt like I was reading something much older, what with the way Sorensen writes. It amazed me to see that. It also led me to voraciously consume each poem.

The pictures in the book also helped to drive the poems home for me. Occasionally, Sorensen will include pictures of babies in her work, driving home the purpose of her poetry. They even made me want to cry, but in a good way, given how small and delicate these children are in the pictures given to us.

There’s nothing negative that I can say about this book, really. In addition to the above, it’s exceptionally edited, thus my rating. If you want something about children that’s poignant, beautiful and warm, I recommend this book. I think those who love poetry will find a lot to love about this book, and I hope you do too.

A Fate Unwound Too Soon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”