Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bhaskar Rogha
Currently Reading: Twilight
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskar-rogha.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by Bhaskar Rogha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Legacy of Job’s Wife by Cynthia J. Koelker is a fiction novel written from the perspective of Ix’ises, a girl born in a family that lived in tents, at a time when papyrus scroll (paper) was a rare commodity, and when people used to travel on the animals or their feet only. The currency used in the story suggests that she lived with her family in ancient Israel or the Middle East. In the novel, she describes major incidents sequentially, from all her phases of life; her childhood, her teenage years, her adulthood, till her old age. The constant theme in all her phases is her understanding of God.

The first thing that I liked about the book was its ability to make me laugh. Ix’ises, as like most children, was innocent in her childhood. She didn’t intentionally try to be funny, but just said things that happened to be funny. For example, when her friend Job asked her if her father prayed to God, she replied, “Not that I know of, though now and then I hear him say ‘Thank God,’ if you can call that a prayer.” There were many other characters who said funny things, but providing their example would spoil the fun for the readers. Overall, the language is easy to understand with a few new words to learn every now and then. There was one particular moment when I thought Ix’ises was thinking exactly like me. She contemplated, “And though it had been pleasant to have visitors, it was also nice to have them take their problems home with them.” There were also some moments while reading when I felt warm and fuzzy inside my chest and automatically started smiling. The poems and songs by Ix’ises and her mother are really worth reading at least once. This book is a goldmine of valuable lessons. If I’ll start listing them, then surely the word limit would get crossed. The book not only kept me engaged emotionally but there were also some intellect-stoking questions.

There was just one little thing that was unexplained and out of context. I disliked the part of the story that talks about how God set man to rule over his creation. I also disliked the argument given for sacrificing animals.

Since more than ten errors were found, the rating cannot be four out of four stars. For the important lessons that can be learnt from this book, I’ll rate it three out of four stars.

This book contains a description of killing and eating animals. It also has some gross descriptions of wounds and an illness. This book is surely not for those who tend to puke while seeing or imagining such things. It is recommended to those who want to understand the importance of living in a society, rather than in isolation.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

This is an amazing story. It gave me goosebumps. I liked how the author used humor mixed with serious emotions to tell IX'ises' story. Great review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”