Review of Back to Serve

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mike Buhtanic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-buhtanic.html
Latest Review: Back to Serve by CW3 Cesare Giannetti U.S. Army (Ret.)

Review of Back to Serve

Post by Mike Buhtanic »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Back to Serve" by CW3 Cesare Giannetti U.S. Army (Ret.).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Back to Serve, written by CW3 Cesare Gianetti is a Historical Fiction tale of a recently retired Army Capitan. It grabs you from the beginning. Gianetti’s retelling of his exploits from retirement to current times involve interactions that are explained with Historical perspective. As the title foreshadows, he celebrates and questions retirement for a number of reasons including personal, family, sense of duty and even revenge of some of his experiences. Gianetti does a wonderful job of implanting the reader into the various situations. Back to Serve has a very accurate fact based sense of perspective, while allowing for individualized servicemen vs government decisions on Military matters.

Author Gianetti is able to involve the reader into the most intricate senses….smelling the pasta sauce at authentic Italian restaurant in the Bronx, hearing the crack of the bat at the New York Yankees game, visualizing a small - almost unnoticeable - necklace charm on a yet to be determined friend or foe encounter, and the feeling of a bitter cold through a gore-tex jacket.all of these sense reactions were helpful in understanding the nuances at hand. Gianetti’s are characters from different areas of the world, speaking very phonetically in type as he is referred to as Cap-I-tan by the Russian encounters he has. Historical references are abundant and factually correct right down to the score of a Super Bowl result years earlier. Accuracy is display every in a range from “Fun facts” ….the town and church Santa Maria dell Spina, which translates a thorn from Jesus Christs crown in Italian, to the New York City Transit Authority difficulties in the 1970’s. This all creates an aura of truth and ties the reader even closer to the story.

A couple of minor instances left the reader questioning themselves in a how did we get here manner. Early on, after meeting someone in a bar they quickly became “…to under the influence to think straight”, without much explanation of ordering enough to get to that level of inebriation. It comes as a surprise as details were plentiful throughout the rest of the encounter as well as the book.

This book deserves a 4 out 4 rating as right from the start he immerses the reader to thinking they are on the bus in the next seat and involved in the decisions of the retiring Capitan. The journey takes us through the ups, downs and questions of an early retirement. The incentives and influences of returning to work are described in a magnetic style that explains things from an experienced military perspective.

Back to Serve does contain adult language and situations where are understandable from a Military Captains point of view. Any adults interested in accuracy, historically factual and military honor frameshould read this story.

Back to Serve
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Primrose Mhlanga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primrose-mhlanga.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Primrose Mhlanga »

A bit of historical backgrounds makes the perfect flow of a story. I am looking forward to reading this.
Great review!
Lomyders
Currently Reading: Multiple streams of internet income
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lomyders.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Lomyders »

Beautiful review. Historical fiction is my favorite genre. Will definitely read this book.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

A very detailed and rich write up, which satiaites the minds desire for knowledge, coupled with the elements of reality....nice review....much appreciated.
sharlet mukuhe

Post by sharlet mukuhe »

Desire to read such an interesting book. Books having content about the government really attract me.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

This is a book that I am excited to read. Thank you very much for recommending it to me.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Shireen Ubaid
Favorite Book: Crescendo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shireen-ubaid.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Shireen Ubaid »

Military stories are not my cup of tea. But reading the review, I would definitely want to know why he wants to go back to serve. Thanks for the great review.
Emmylex1998
Currently Reading:

Post by Emmylex1998 »

I haven't really been a fan of military novels but considering some things seen in the review, I believe I am curious to know why a Capitan is going back to serve and what he stands to gain. Thank you for this review
Gertruida Paich

Post by Gertruida Paich »

I haven't really been a fan of military novels but yet I consdering some things seen in the review believe I'm really curious to know why did a capitan is going back to the server and what he stands to get thanks for the review
Agnes Skorupinski
Currently Reading:

Post by Agnes Skorupinski »

The review allows me to imagine the carousel of emotions that I will feel when reading the book. Definitely this type of books catches my attention.
Last edited by Agnes Skorupinski on 22 Oct 2021, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
Felisha Olson
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felisha-olson.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Reginhart by Penn Scripter

Post by Felisha Olson »

I don't usually go for historical fiction books, but your review is very informative and interesting. Even though i will not be reading this book i did enjoy your well writen review. Thank you for the information.
borobhaii
Currently Reading:

Post by borobhaii »

This is a book that I am excited to read. Thank you very much for recommending it to me.
Nomcebo_0619
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomcebo-0619.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nomcebo_0619 »

I've recently started reading historical fiction and judging from this review, This book is really something worth reading about.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Seems more like a historical war story , great review🍀
:tiphat:
amekon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by amekon »

Right from the art cover its a great job, a bit historical i can't wait to read it all, great job

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”