Review of My Walk on the Aikido Path

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of My Walk on the Aikido Path

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Walk on the Aikido Path" by Rachel Kling.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Normally, self-healing books do not interest me, but as I am familiar with the discipline mentioned in My Walk on the Aikido Path: A Healing Journey of Self-Discovery, I wanted to read Rachel Kling's book. The honest story of her experiences should be read by anyone who struggles with anxiety and self-esteem issues. According to the author, the mental benefits received from practicing this martial art form can be life-changing.

Kling narrates her struggle in ten short chapters. In the introduction, readers learn that practicing aikido led her from a personal psychotic breakdown to a profession as a psychotherapist. Chapter one is titled "Darkness" and describes Kling's life in New York City while attending Columbia University. I like that, unlike some memoirs, this author doesn't dwell on the negatives of her childhood but focuses more on the healing episodes. Kling finds aikido in chapter two. At the end of chapter seven, she states, "But for now, I had clarity, a smooth mirror, and a new beginning."

A large part of the text consisted of descriptions of the various techniques, strategies, and moves taught as Kling progressed on her way to a black belt. The technical terms were italicized, and at times the abundance disturbed my reading enjoyment. In one paragraph with 49 words, 7 of them were italicized. There were 19 italicized words on that one page. This formatting issue was my least favorite part of the book.

I liked how the author linked the essence of a relationship in aikido practice to understanding the complexity of relationships in her daily life. The tenets of aikido teach living in an honorable way and having compassion for others. Throughout her lengthy journey, Kling had to learn how to accept herself in order to accept others. At one point, she suffered an injury and had a cast on her arm, but she did not quit her practice. All her travails in becoming proficient in this art now help her in dealing with her therapy patients.

Sadly, there were too many errors in this 93-page book to award four stars, so my rating is 3 out of 4. I recommend this book to anyone who is considering the study of martial arts. The author of this book provides a perfect example of the mental benefits of embracing aikido. Each step of Kling's aikido adventure helped her to heal emotionally. I am sorry that the author had to go through so much sorrow, but I am happy that she found peace, and I hope that her book will help others who are struggling. I wish Rachel Kling success on her way to Nidan.

My Walk on the Aikido Path
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I am not familiar with the discipline of aikido, but now I'd like to learn about it. I am also glad that the author was able to use the practice as a form of therapy to pull herself out of a bad situation and improve her life.

Thank you for another well-written review!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 02:41 I am not familiar with the discipline of aikido, but now I'd like to learn about it. I am also glad that the author was able to use the practice as a form of therapy to pull herself out of a bad situation and improve her life.

Thank you for another well-written review!
:tiphat:
Thank you for the compliment.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

I enjoyed your review!! I hope a get a chance to read this one.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

ROSEYANN wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 09:14 I enjoyed your review!! I hope a get a chance to read this one.
Thank you so much for your comment.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I recently finished a review on this as well, and I remember your delightful comment on your son taking aikido classes. I hope they were as beneficial to him as they were to the author. Excellent Job!
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Wesusa wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 16:37 I recently finished a review on this as well, and I remember your delightful comment on your son taking aikido classes. I hope they were as beneficial to him as they were to the author. Excellent Job!
Thank you for your comment.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

Martial arts is something that always interest me, I'm happy Kling was able to find peace too. Thanks for the insightful review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Muna Chizzy wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 21:11 Martial arts is something that always interest me, I'm happy Kling was able to find peace too. Thanks for the insightful review.
I appreciate you taking the time to read my review and leave a comment.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

While I do not see myself learning aikido now with my brittle bones, I am glad it brought peace to Rachel. I remember that I was a great fan of Miyagi and Karate Kid.

Wonderful review!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Miriam Molina wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 10:32 While I do not see myself learning aikido now with my brittle bones, I am glad it brought peace to Rachel. I remember that I was a great fan of Miyagi and Karate Kid.

Wonderful review!
I appreciate your comment. Thanks for reading my review.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

I love self-healing books. I love the fact that Rachel is being honest with her life experiences. Great review!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Brandy_Nyongesa wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 03:57 I love self-healing books. I love the fact that Rachel is being honest with her life experiences. Great review!
Thank you for commenting and reading.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I hope I get the chance to read this book too. Thank you for your wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

We live in a world that tests our mental health all too often. I am glad the author found techniques that help with managing anxiety. Awesome review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”