Review of Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Review of Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates

Post by zainherb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates" by Chris Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While Evan was on a vacation in Wales with his parents and his best friends Violet and Grayson, he did not think that they were going to meet, let alone have a strange adventure with pirates. Sure, after Evan’s dad told them about pirates at breakfast that morning, Evan and his friends decided to become pirates themselves, but that was to be far, far in the future.

They all went to the beach after breakfast. Evan’s parents were to stay on the beach and watch Evan and his friends while they swam. They were told not to swim too far from the beach shore, but the water was so warm in places that Evan and his friends, enjoying their swim, didn’t know how far they’d gone. When they tried to return to the shore, enormous waves carried them away to an isolated island. A short while after, they saw a ship approaching and yelled for help. When help came, they saw that this was a pirate ship. A bit intrigued, and afraid, they did not know what to expect.

Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates is a children’s adventure book written by Chris Williams. It is part of a series but can be read independently as the story stands alone. I haven’t read the first book myself, but understood and enjoyed the story. The story teaches the reader to keep a cool head in crisis, to be solution-oriented, to be helpful, and to be kind. These are all important lessons for children to learn. The vocabulary and sentence structure are slightly advanced and will improve the reader’s linguistic skills. I also liked that there was a glossary of terms at the end. What I loved most were the colourful illustrations after every couple of pages. They served to break the monotony of text and will certainly enchant children.

There was a part of the plot that was not very plausible. Mentioning specifics would constitute a spoiler, but the author didn’t tell us if or when the kids agreed on a strategy, yet the three of them said the same word at the same time. That doesn’t work in real life. Just telling us in passing that the three of them agreed on a plan before going ahead would have solved this issue. I found one typographical error; I suppose the editors did a good job. Although the ideal would be for there to be zero errors, as a children’s book. As these issues were not big enough to affect my rating, this book gets four out of four stars.

Children of ages 8 to 13 years will benefit from and enjoy this book the most. Younger children who can read, or whose parents can read to them, can also enjoy it. Those who enjoy adventures will enjoy the story a lot. Those who love to colour and paint will enjoy colouring the pictures in the last few pages of the book.

Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates
View: on Bookshelves
:techie-reference:
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. If the friends are close or understand each other enough, they may say the same thing at the same time. It's kind of similar to how siblings tend to simultaneously utter a word or a phrase :D.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

This book takes me back to when I was younger and everyone wanted to be either pirates or princesses. This seemed like a very interesting, adventurous book. I enjoyed reading your review
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html

Post by zainherb »

Sou Hi wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 21:23 Thanks for your interesting review. If the friends are close or understand each other enough, they may say the same thing at the same time. It's kind of similar to how siblings tend to simultaneously utter a word or a phrase :D.
Agreed. Very true.

In this case though, it was obviously planned.
I guess you have to read the book to see the disconnect.

Thank you for reading and commenting. I appreciate it a lot.
Shakiera Reece wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 23:15 This book takes me back to when I was younger and everyone wanted to be either pirates or princesses. This seemed like a very interesting, adventurous book. I enjoyed reading your review
It is very adventurous. And interesting too.
Thank you for taking the time to read a leave a review. I appreciate it.
:techie-reference:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”