Review of Living Forward After Loss

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Review of Living Forward After Loss

Post by Unsullied »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Living Forward After Loss" by Kathleen Ho.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One thing I have learnt about life over time is that it goes on. It can be so devastating to think that even in our darkest moments, life never waits for us to get better. The sun still rises and sets, businesses still continue, people still move and governments are still run. I had never thought I'd ever see the positive side of this till I read Kathleen Ho's book, Living Forward After Loss. The book seeks to help people mourning those they love in a world that moves on.

Kathleen has been through hell. She lost the love of her life to stroke back in 2015. In her book, she narrates how horrific and dark those days were. She explains to us how vulnerable and weak she felt in the days leading to David's death and even those that followed. She became depressed and even thought of ending her life. I love that the story does not end with her in that dark place. She also tells the story of how she survived and overcame that grief. She gives step-by-step narrations of the kind of activities, quotes and people who helped her reset and calm her mind. It gets interesting as she delves into a little philosophy to encourage anyone that could be going through what she went through. Her story if one of possibility and hope.

This book was so refreshing. I am an optimist and absolutely love it when someone gives hope to the world through writing. The language and quotes the author used in the book speak pure optimism. I also loved how honest the author was with her experience. She writes so frankly about what she felt in the wake of her husband's death. For instance, she admits it would have been difficult to take care of her paralyzed husband had he survived that stroke attack and that she preferred to let him go. This may not be an option most people would take but Ho is comfortable expressing exactly what she feels.

I liked that the book was short and hence not exhausting to read. The last thing you need when grieving is a long and stressful read. The language the author used was simple and easy to comprehend. I also loved that Ho included important questions at the end of the chapters in the book. They can be very vital guides for people who want to overcome their grief in the same way she did. They can also be used by the readers to measure their healing progress. I have to say that the recommendations that Ho puts across in the book seem practical. They are also reassuring as she talks from her personal experience about things that already worked for her.

I also enjoyed that the author was able to make me feel what she felt. The pain cannot be equal but I shed a little tear as I pictured the scene where David dies holding her wife and smiling as he took those last gasps of air.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. I therefore gave it a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to anyone going through a period of mourning or loss of any kind.

Living Forward After Loss
View: on Bookshelves
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I like the book title. It doesn't say moving forward, it says living forward because as you correctly put it, life goes forward, whether you want it to or not. Losing a loved one can never be easy. I hope the author found some healing when writing this book. Awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

Nqobile771 wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 02:33 I like the book title. It doesn't say moving forward, it says living forward because as you correctly put it, life goes forward, whether you want it to or not. Losing a loved one can never be easy. I hope the author found some healing when writing this book. Awesome review!
I agree that losing a loved one can never be easy, I share your hopes for the author's healing too. Thanks for passing by.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I am glad that someone has devoted himself in a realistic and practical way to a topic that each of us will sooner or later encounter.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

Naaya123 wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 17:05 I think this is the kind of book I'd need to set aside and pick up when going through a tough time. Thank you for the review!
You surely won't go wrong with that. Thanks for commenting.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Losing a loved one can be devastating, so any hand coming to support you in a dark time when you feel you're falling into the abyss is welcome. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

I believe one can read this book even if not grieving themselves, may be to feel the loss of someone else
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Great Review! Definitely got me interested to see what the book is about, thanks!
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

Grief can be very painful. This book will help people to learn how to deal with the loss of a loved one. Great review.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

The loss of a loved one can be very devastating. I appreciate the book as it a good self help book when one is dealing with grief
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

NetMassimo wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 07:19 Losing a loved one can be devastating, so any hand coming to support you in a dark time when you feel you're falling into the abyss is welcome. Thank you for your great review!
The book certainly offers great support. Thanks for commenting.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

AbhyarnaAman wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 09:01 I believe one can read this book even if not grieving themselves, may be to feel the loss of someone else
True, even though the real feeling of losing someone can only be felt by those at loss, this book gives the reader a pinch of what it feels like. Thanks for passing by.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

Wesusa wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 09:47 Great Review! Definitely got me interested to see what the book is about, thanks!
Thank you Wesusa, I'm sure you'll love it.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:

Post by Unsullied »

Brandy_Nyongesa wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 07:18 Grief can be very painful. This book will help people to learn how to deal with the loss of a loved one. Great review.
It cannot do away with the pain, but it helps deal with the it. Thank you for commenting, Brandy.
VictoriousReader
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriousreader.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VictoriousReader »

I read the book, and I must commend the author on her honesty. Letting go of a loved one is not easy, yet she new her husband would not live the quality of life he wanted if she did not let him go. Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”