Review of Next Stage

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of Next Stage

Post by Damian Keyes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Next Stage" by Tom Wilson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The word retirement conveys a different meaning to different people. In this book, Next Stage, author Tom Wilson discusses how retirement for older individuals in the Reinventing Adulthood part of their life can live a fulfilled life after retiring. Next Stage is geared to the older population in the world who are nearing retirement and want to set their life up so that they can live a sustainable, and yet, fun life.

Wilson breaks down the importance of retirees leading a purposeful life that will motivate them in the say way as when they were working. Many questions and topics are covered that many people have thought about retirement; whether it’s developing a financial plan, relationships with those closes to them, or how to spend their free time. All of this and more is covered in this book that will essentially help individuals develop their own Master Plan for retirement.

Near the end of the book, the author did a great job of implementing these questions that people can answer. I thoroughly enjoyed that portion because even at my age I had fun answering some of these questions because eventually, everyone will have to do a Master Plan. Wilson also incorporated hyperlinks to prevalent websites of every topic covered and I enjoyed that and the stats that he included throughout the book.

The care with information that Wilson used when writing this book is shown in the text. He breakdown how this couple in the book - Kathy and Doug - handles their finances. Social Security, pension, investments, and assets are also covered in this book and there are many sources that can be helpful to the reader. Maintaining a sense of wellness, a strong mindset, sense of purpose, and having those you love around you are things discussed in the Reinventing Adulthood stage.

Like I stated earlier, older individuals who are thinking about retiring in the next couple of years should get this book. It holds information for those who are unsure of their path in life. Wilson covered the topics of time, finances, relationships, health, and identity/lifestyle in a comprehensive format that all readers can enjoy. I would not recommend this book to potential retirees that have already planned out what their future beyond retirement will look like.

I am more than happy to give Next Stage 4 out of 4 stars. I’m still in my twenties and this book about what I will have to look forward to in 40+ years kept me intrigued and attentive to all the details. Wilson did such a wonderful job writing this book that I only found 1 error and it did not distract me from the overall story. There was nothing I hated about the book.

Next Stage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Proper planning is so important. This book sounds like it has great advice to plan a fun and responsible retirement. Thank you for your thorough review! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”