Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
djoh_
Currently Reading: Broken Inn
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djoh.html
Latest Review: The Little Book For Big Transformations (2nd Edition) by Skip Jennings

Review of Kalayla

Post by djoh_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lena Manero Barzetti has spent the latter part of her life living alone in a fourth-floor flat in one of the apartment buildings owned by Manzetti Properties (her family business). After the hand that life has dealt her, Lena's life has become as bare as her apartment, with its white walls and minimal furnishing. Until one day, a young lady named Maureen and her daughter, Kalayla, move in across the hall. Something about Kalayla catches Lena’s attention. She watches Kalayla come and go while her mother works long shifts at a restaurant, and she finds herself being drawn to look after Kalayla and make sure she stays out of trouble. Maureen is trying to overcome her past and make it on her own so that she can be a good mother to Kalayla. Kalayla is independent for her age, sassy, sharp-tongued, lonely, and in need of a support system. Maybe, together, the three ladies can become the family they always wanted.

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is a beautifully written story that explores themes of family, overcoming trauma, racism, loss, and love. I was impressed by how Nicholas managed to write about such heavy subject matter throughout the story in a way that didn’t feel too heavy or hard to read. The tone was hopeful overall. Each chapter is written from the point of view of one of the three main characters. Nicholas did a fantastic job of developing the characters and giving each character a unique voice. I understood the characters' motives and why they made the choices they made. The story was believable, and I was emotionally involved. This story made me cry more than once! Nicholas told a story about overcoming the painful parts of life, the complexities of family, the feelings of loss and trauma that most of us can relate to, and she did it in a way that left me with feelings of hopefulness and appreciation of life.

There is nothing I dislike about this book. I thought it was well written, and it seemed professionally edited. I only noticed one or two minor errors, but nothing that would hinder the reading experience in any way.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is well written with only a couple of minor errors. The characters are extremely well developed. The subject matter is important. I was invested in the story and rooting for each of the characters. Certain parts of the story brought me to tears, and other parts made me giggle. I have nothing bad to say about this book.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading stories about complex family dynamics, rebuilding after loss, and finding friends in unlikely places. There are some sensitive subjects in this book. If you are triggered by topics such as abuse or marital abuse, then maybe skip this one. Other than that, I think this book is suited for most adults, especially mothers and women, or anyone who would enjoy a story about strong females.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your nice review. This is truly a wonderful book with well-crafted characters. Despite the open ending, it seems all is well that ends well.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an intriguing story about the importance of family and a support system. I'm glad it sounds hopeful in spite of the heavy topics. Thanks for an excellent review!
djoh_
Latest Review: The Little Book For Big Transformations (2nd Edition) by Skip Jennings

Post by djoh_ »

Sou Hi wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 00:02 Thanks for your nice review. This is truly a wonderful book with well-crafted characters. Despite the open ending, it seems all is well that ends well.
Yes, the open ending seemed to work because of the hopeful tone, I think. Thank you for your comment!
djoh_

Post by djoh_ »

Prisallen wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 14:31 This sounds like an intriguing story about the importance of family and a support system. I'm glad it sounds hopeful in spite of the heavy topics. Thanks for an excellent review!
The hopeful tone made it an enjoyable read, in my opinion. Thank you for your response!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”