Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Review of Kalayla

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There is not a single person on earth who has not retrospected and wondered how life would have been different if s/he took bold decisions at the right time. In this story, the protagonist regrets not leaving her abusive marriage when her kids were still young.

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is an easy read fictional Novel with an emotional touch to the story. The author has portrayed the characters in a way that readers can instantly find a connection with them. They appear to be people living next door. The story revolves around the lives of three female characters who are struggling with different issues. Lena, the old lady, who lives alone and manages her real estate business, feels guilty of not keeping her family together. Maureen, the single mother, feels overwhelmed with the responsibility of raising her daughter without much family support. She is struggling to maintain her sanity, working two jobs after the death of her husband. Kalayla is a witty, outspoken, and strong-willed eleven-year-old girl who has learned to be independent, as her mother, Maureen, is at work most of the day.

Lena finds a purpose in her life to parent again when she sees how the little girl, Kalayla, is wasting her time on the streets, and her mother herself needs motherly care. Would Lena fulfill her aspiration to bring balance to Maureen's family? Would Kalayla be turned into productive activities? Would Lena ever be united with her sons? Readers have to find out answers to these questions upon reading the book.

The author brings many social issues to the limelight, like interracial marriages, finding love in old age, breaking an abusive relationship, daughters stepping up to inherit a business, gay couples, animal welfare, etc. Full marks to the author for acknowledging the existence of these issues in our society. The author has weaved the story around these issues meticulously.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, the pros being the captivating flow of the story, vivid descriptions of various cuisines, addressing social stigmas, and relatability of the characters. The con was- too much emphasis on parenting, for example, how Lena parented her sons, Kalayla not getting enough parenting, or Maureen's father over-parenting his grandson by forcing him to join certain activities. There were some instances of sexual abuse as per the requirement of the story.

I recommend this book to adult readers who enjoy light fictional books and do not mind a few instances of violence. This book will make you yearn for your best friend whom you can turn to for any problem in the world and who can comfort your soul.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I enjoyed the book very much, and I loved your analysis. Indeed, running to your best friend for comfort is a cure for any problem in the world. Thank you for this lovely review!
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 03:28 I enjoyed the book very much, and I loved your analysis. Indeed, running to your best friend for comfort is a cure for any problem in the world. Thank you for this lovely review!
Thanks for your encouraging words!!! my takeaway from the book is that everybody needs a best friend.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Thank you for the great review. Most people have recommended this book, but I honestly do not read much contemporary. I like the points you mentioned and appreciated that you mentioned that there was too much parenting. I liked your take on that.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

RayRuff wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 09:34 Thank you for the great review. Most people have recommended this book, but I honestly do not read much contemporary. I like the points you mentioned and appreciated that you mentioned that there was too much parenting. I liked your take on that.
thanks for your supportive words :tiphat:
By Rob White
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I hadn’t noticed the many social issues the author brought to the limelight. She really did pack a lot into this delightful read! Thank you for your thoughtful review. I enjoyed your analysis. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

MsH2k wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 01:33 I hadn’t noticed the many social issues the author brought to the limelight. She really did pack a lot into this delightful read! Thank you for your thoughtful review. I enjoyed your analysis. :balloon:
Actually, I too got this idea towards the end of the book. Thanks for dropping by :tiphat:
By Rob White
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I like the book and the storyline. But I personally feels the author did not thoroughly address the issue of racism like I'd expected. Thank you for your lovely review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It seems there are a lot of issues being tackled in this book. It is very hard for a single parent, and I'm glad that Lena is stepping up to help out. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. This book is quite good and educational. It's nice to have some strangers care for your unconditionally.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Omega_01 wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 03:41 I like the book and the storyline. But I personally feels the author did not thoroughly address the issue of racism like I'd expected. Thank you for your lovely review.
you are right, the author has acknowledged many issues but not addressed them in detail. thanks for dropping by :tiphat:
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Prisallen wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 08:26 It seems there are a lot of issues being tackled in this book. It is very hard for a single parent, and I'm glad that Lena is stepping up to help out. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Lena has truly played an appreciable role in the life of Kalayla. thanks for your encouraging post :tiphat:
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Sou Hi wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 03:45 Thanks for your interesting review. This book is quite good and educational. It's nice to have some strangers care for your unconditionally.
I am glad that you liked my review!!
By Rob White
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The author’s idea to tell the story through the characters of women from three different generations is fantastic. Thanks for the objective review.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I read and reviewed this book and loved it. I totally agree with your analyses and observations.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”