Review of Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Review of Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The number of Christians we have today, especially in Africa, has increased tremendously over the last decade. As opposed to other continents, Africa currently has the highest number of Christians, and more are still converting daily. This trend raises many questions, and researchers are bothered about this, as Africa harbors some of the poorest countries globally. In his book, Jesus, Prosperity Gospel, and Poverty in Africa, Elijah Oladimeji answers all these questions in a critical and compelling style.

The author used his experiences as an African pastor to unravel the interconnection between religion and poverty in Africa. He also explained the vast roles African pastors play in ensuring that Church members live a good life and maintain their faith in God. Elijah creates a vivid picture of what a standard “Sunday Church Service” looks like in Africa. He also showed how pastors help members address their divergent marital and business problems as well as intercede for them in prayers.

This book is exciting and fun to read, honestly. Its most striking positive aspect is the author‘s choice of words in describing scenes and characters. His descriptions made it easy for me to picture places and comprehend the book faster. I was completely submerged in the book while reading it. Besides, some parts of the book had Yoruba songs, and the writer interpreted each of them for non-native speakers. For example, on page 23, Mrs. Adewale sang Talo dabire o alagbara, which the author translated to “Who is like unto you Mighty God?”

However, the book has some negative aspects. The bulk of this book talks about poverty and religion in Africa, but every scene relates to Nigeria only. In other words, the characters and Church services described are all in Nigeria, thereby making the narrative one-sided. The author barely mentioned any other African countries. Furthermore, the pages of this book were not numbered. Hence, readers may find it challenging to locate a particular page for reference purposes. Lastly, the author did not maintain a specific title throughout the book. The title on the book’s cover and the second page was not consistent.

This book was well-detailed, engaging, and has copious supporting data, showing quality research and analysis. In addition, this piece seemed professionally edited since I noted a few typographical errors. Consequently, I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Moreover, I would recommend it to anyone from a religious background and researchers interested in Christian history, especially in Africa.

Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

A book about the Church, the well-being of the members and the role of the pastors... Great review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's great that the author describes Christianity in Africa and more specifically in Nigeria. Poverty and religion, but it's all one sided. Missing page number is quite a problem when it comes to finding info. Thank you for a great review!
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:

Kennedy NC wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 23:14 A book about the Church, the well-being of the members and the role of the pastors... Great review.
Thanks for this. Means a whole lot.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:

Kavita Shah wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 02:26 It's great that the author describes Christianity in Africa and more specifically in Nigeria. Poverty and religion, but it's all one sided. Missing page number is quite a problem when it comes to finding info. Thank you for a great review!
:D I so much appreciate your comment. Thanks
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

I think this book will educate Africans in the ways they see Christainity. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:

Mercy Osmond wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 23:42 I think this book will educate Africans in the ways they see Christainity. Thanks for the beautiful review.
I am certain it will, Mercy. Thanks for commenting :D :D
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I hate the way the only thing Africa is known for is poverty and how Africans cling to religion and traditional beliefs and forsake critical thinking or reason. However this book seems intresting. Great review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I found a lot of interesting things about Africa from your review. So I imagine that the book will be even more revealing :). I was intrigued by your observation that the book was fun to read. Great job!
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:

63tty wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 23:31 I hate the way the only thing Africa is known for is poverty and how Africans cling to religion and traditional beliefs and forsake critical thinking or reason. However this book seems intresting. Great review.
Thanks for your comment. It's a sad reality Africa has to deal with. Hopefully, it becomes better with time.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 15:23 I found a lot of interesting things about Africa from your review. So I imagine that the book will be even more revealing :). I was intrigued by your observation that the book was fun to read. Great job!
Thanks for stopping by. Thanks again for your comment.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

I have often wondered as well why the continent is quite religious yet so poor. I would like to see the author unravel the interconnection between religion and poverty in Africa. Thanks for the review.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:

Emily_Jen wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 03:21 I have often wondered as well why the continent is quite religious yet so poor. I would like to see the author unravel the interconnection between religion and poverty in Africa. Thanks for the review.
Definitely. The author did a good job with that. Enjoy your read!
berryferry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by berryferry »

Such a detailed review that made me curious to read the book. Looking forward to know more about Africa and Christianity.
Thank you for the review...😊
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting religious educational non-fiction book highlighting Christianity and its rapid growth in the African continent despite how poor it is. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”