Review by Vishnu Priya B -- Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Review by Vishnu Priya B -- Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)" by Barry Litherland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland is a crime thriller that follows the adventures of Phil, a local paper journalist and his childhood friends Wyane and Tina. Phil is a shy but witty individual who has zero illusions about his brevity, while Wayne is a victim of childhood neglect, bullying and abuse. As the story unfolds, Wayne is suspected of a burglary, and Phil is unwittingly forced to find a mysterious package named JAYDEE. Meanwhile, Wayne’s older brother, Tyrone resurfaces. Cops are behind Wayne, trying to frame him. Time is running out for Phil. Will he find the package and save his friends before it’s too late?

The engrossing and page-turning thriller is balanced with the right mix of humour and sarcasm. Litherland portrays a cast of well-developed characters ranging from a witty Phil to a dependable Wayne to an intelligent and resourceful Tina. Every character is unique in their own way and absolutely necessary for the development of the plot. I like how they grow and evolve within the story. Besides, the transitions between scenes were smooth and quick.

The language is simple and lucid. Though Litherland employs the present tense for an immediate and dramatic effect, the timeline alternates between the childhood years and the present. Both the timelines have their own share of suspense, gripping the reader until the very last line. Since this is character-driven crime fiction, the use of profanity is understandable. But it gets too much to the extent where you randomly pick a page in the book, and you’ll find at least one profane word.

The story has triggers like childhood abuse, neglect, violence and bullying. Though, in small proportion, readers who are easily affected by these concepts are advised to proceed with caution. As much as the book is filled to the brim with profanity, there are no explicit sexual scenes. Still, underage readers are advised against reading this book due to the excessive profanity and foul language.

I spotted a couple of grammatical errors within the text, however, they didn’t affect the flow of my reading. A few filler sentences were used. But I’m sure, they must be intentional due to the narrative nature of the story. There was nothing I disliked about the book. And the book seems to be professionally edited. For this reason, I award Waves Break (on Unknown Shores), a well deserved 4 out of 4 stars.

Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

I love your use of language. Your review has a great flow. One of the best reviews I ever read, because I absolutely love your vocabulary. I will try this book for sure as you indicated that it is a good one. Keep it up!
Vishnu Priya B

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

Hiruni Hansika wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 01:09 I love your use of language. Your review has a great flow. One of the best reviews I ever read, because I absolutely love your vocabulary. I will try this book for sure as you indicated that it is a good one. Keep it up!
Thank you so much for your kind words. I feel encouraged :D
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I've read this book, and I enjoyed it quite a bit! I really like your opening paragraph; you provide an intriguing but short and informative summary right away. In retrospect, I have to agree that this book is character-driven. The characters really do stand out in this book! Nice review!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

The book sounds quite nostalgic. I love nostalgia and therefore must add this to my read list. Thanks for the nice review.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Great review! I enjoyed this book too. I hadn't expected to like it so much. I wish there were a few chapters from Wayne's point of view as well. Would have liked to have an insight to his state of mind.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Cops are behind Wayne, trying to frame him. Time is running out for Phil. Will he find the package and save his friends before it’s too late? I can't wait to find out how this book ends. Thanks for the review.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

The plot and the characters of this book sound fascinating and exciting. However, the excessive use of profane language is something I find jarring and off-putting. So, I guess I'll skip this one. But I loved reading your review.
Thanks for writing this amazing and thorough review :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Vishnu Priya B

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 10:10 The plot and the characters of this book sound fascinating and exciting. However, the excessive use of profane language is something I find jarring and off-putting. So, I guess I'll skip this one. But I loved reading your review.
Thanks for writing this amazing and thorough review :tiphat:
Thanks for your kind words dear!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”