Review by sharon titus -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Review by sharon titus -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by sharon titus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is a story of three indifferent people of different ages and backgrounds bonding in something deeper than love. The fiction has a simple plot and storyline that revolves around the struggles, hardships, sacrifices and redemptions in day-to-day life. It is a captivating story I cannot forget anytime soon.

The main focus of the book is on Kalayla, an eleven years old mixed race girl who doesn't mingle with people and has a habit of roaming the street alone. Maureen, Kalaylas' mother who is a single parent, she is struggling working multiple jobs and rarely making time for her daughter. Lena, 72 years old woman who lives in isolation and calls herself a failed mother. She takes Kalayla under her wings. The three amazing ladies gradually come to know each other. Find out how they formed a bond deeper than the sea by reading this heartwarming book.

Author Jeannie Nicholas has beautifully crafted a subtle and enchanting novel. Each character narrates the story from their point of view. The dialogues are humorous as well as thought-provoking. The narration is kept on a subtle pace that is full of suspense. The characters are relatable. The book defines that family is not just blood relations, family are the people who are there for each other in the times of need. It also depicts that parents should allow their young ones to choose and follow their dreams and not forcefully impose their dreams on them.

The book is efficiently edited because I found no errors in the book. There is nothing that I particularly disliked about the book. It might contain slight borderline profanity but no erotic scene whatsoever.

Overall, I would like to give this book 4 out of 4 stars for the heart warming story and relatable characters. I liked the way everything turned out in the end. I greatly enjoyed the book. It was an engaging and memorable book. It captured my interest throughout the story. I loved the persona of Kalayla who is an outspoken pre-teen full of energy, sarcasm, and humour.

I would recommend the book to those who are looking for a simple yet impactful story. The book is suitable for everyone. I believe everyone will enjoy it as much as I did. The book is more likely to entertain audiences of late teens, young adults and all the parents. The book is a wholesome read.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Kalayla sounds like a heartwarming story and it would be good to read about how the 3 meet and what happens next after that. Thanks for the informative review!
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

I love books with strong female leads that also tug at my heartstrings; this sounds like an engaging read. Thank you for a detailed review.
sharon titus

Post by sharon titus »

Kavita Shah wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:51 Kalayla sounds like a heartwarming story and it would be good to read about how the 3 meet and what happens next after that. Thanks for the informative review!
Kalaya sure is a amazing book. Thank you for stopping by!
sharon titus

Post by sharon titus »

Holly Fleming wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 19:12 I love books with strong female leads that also tug at my heartstrings; this sounds like an engaging read. Thank you for a detailed review.
Yes, strong female characters are like gems of an amazing book. Thank you for stopping by!
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Rivers of the Black Moon by Andrew Goliszek
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 115%

Post by John Owen »

This book was amazing and I'm glad you read it too. The author speaks about the plain truth about serious issues that affect our society. Thanks for your insightful review.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I have read this and also enjoyed it for many of the same reasons you mentioned. Great review!
sharon titus

Post by sharon titus »

John Owen wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 09:53 This book was amazing and I'm glad you read it too. The author speaks about the plain truth about serious issues that affect our society. Thanks for your insightful review.
Thank you for stopping by! Have a great day.
sharon titus

Post by sharon titus »

unamilagra wrote: 08 May 2021, 15:28 I have read this and also enjoyed it for many of the same reasons you mentioned. Great review!
Thank you for your comment. Have a great day.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”