Review by Olgamiell -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Review by Olgamiell -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Olgamiell »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End is the third part of the fantasy saga written by Matthew Tysz. The action picks up immediately after the events described in the previous novel, The Fires of Virko. Once again, readers get a chance to follow the complicated paths of characters in the not so peaceful land of Voulhire.

The trial that begins in the capital shall soon establish whether the people of Voulhire should help the refugees from the Lands of the Princes. Meanwhile, the Riva Rohavi's attacks become bolder than ever. Meldorath gains power and may soon decide it's time to stop hiding his potential. And, in the middle of all that, Galen still tries to enjoy his new life, looking forward to visiting the capital for the first time. But if there's anything we learnt from the previous parts, it's that nothing ever comes easily under the great skies of Voulhire and that the bloody events Galen and his friends witnessed may as well be just the beginning of what is about to come.

In Someone Else's End, we find out a bit more about the Emperor of Lullabies, the mysterious and cruel character responsible for the misery of those who live in the Lands of the Princes. We can also get a closer look at the reshuffles on the political scene of the country. Matthew Tysz masterfully develops his story, introducing new characters and unveiling some secrets behind the motives of those that appeared before.

One of the things I liked most about this book is the author's writing style. Thanks to the rich and descriptive language, the land of Voulhire is very easy to imagine. I felt almost like it was a movie or a computer game rather than a novel. The book also seems to be professionally edited, as I didn't find a single error. I also appreciate the glossary that Matthew Tysz put at the end of the book. With so many names and places, it's not difficult to lose track sometimes, so I find this really helpful. It's nice to know that the author cares about his readers and wants them to understand his vision in the best way possible. It was also nice to discover that the author finally decided to highlight a bit of acknowledgement towards female characters. In his previous books, women were marginal for the plot. Apart from Beth, who comes from another dimension, females were usually just victims of men's often cruel behaviour. Therefore, I enjoyed the little dialogue between a little girl from the orphanage and Lucius Nartik. Even if it was just a short scene, I hope to see more female characters in the following books.

Matthew Tysz got us quite used to the fact that Voulhire can be a savage world. It's not the first of his books that is filled with descriptions of bloody sieges. Honestly speaking, I find them to be the weakest point of the story. Considering that the book is relatively short (a bit more than one hundred pages), I'd like to read more about the characters that intrigue me rather than go through yet another scene of demons attacking and destroying everything. I also find this whole thread a bit inconsistent (for such scary and powerful creatures, sometimes they're quite slow and easy to trick). I believe this is an important part of the plot, but, in my opinion, the battle scenes are simply too exaggerated.

I rate Someone Else's End 3 out of 4 stars. The story is original and captivating. I truly admire the author's imagination, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the saga. I deducted one star due to the violent descriptions, which I think are getting a bit too repetitive, and the plot inconsistencies I've mentioned above. Nevertheless, I got used to the characters, so I can't wait to learn more about their fates. I'd recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of the fantasy genre. However, it's necessary to remember that this is the third book and, in my opinion, it wouldn't stand on its own, so I also recommend reading the previous parts before reaching for this one. Because of the amount of violence, it may also not be suitable for sensitive readers.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Indeed, you must develop a stomach for violence when reading Tysz, but it serves its purpose. This was my favorite book of the series :). Nice review!
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

I've recently finished the second novel of this series and am excited to start this one. Great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The author has done a great job creating an entire fictional civilization.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I loved this book too! Wonderful review, you really did justice to this novel.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

Thank you for the lengthy and detailed review. I have really enjoyed it. The book, too, is a good one.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Creating an entire civilization is a challenge, and this author did that perfectly. Love your review!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I share your views regarding the demon part and other inconsistencies in the book. I found your analysis to be very interesting and the review even better written! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Great review! Thank you for sharing.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I reviewed books in this series and absolutely loved them. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

I have been seeing a lot of interesting reviews on this book. The book seems intriguing, i might give it a try. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”