Review by Joy C -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Review by Joy C -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Joy C »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first book in a nine-part series written by Matthew Tysz. I believe this initial book sets the pace for the series. The book introduces us to Galen Bray and the land of Voulhire. Galen Bray is a young man from the Land of the Princes from which he escapes when he is bequeathed a large inheritance and invited to Voulhire by his uncle. This uncle, who he had never met, is a blacksmith based in Voulhire. Voulhire is a prosperous nation with huge resources and at the peak of massive economic growth. Galen arrives at this time in the nation’s history and must learn how to blend in with the system. Also, he must not become prey to the predators of Voulhire. We also learn about the Lord Meldorath, a vicious mage, and the Riva Rohavi, a subtly growing terrorist group in this first book.

Like every other nation on earth, Voulhire is not devoid of the politics and issues brought by change and economic growth. The quest for power and riches and its attendant effects cannot be overemphasized. These are brought to the fore in this short introductory book. It is a well-told story of a land of mages and priests, a meeting point of the Cosmos and the Caromentis. It brings to light a nation where magic, knowledge, and skill intermingle. I wonder what lies ahead for Galen and the entire land of Voulhire. If the Riva Rohavi will usurp authority and how far they would go in their quest. Not only that, but I also wonder if Lord Meldorath is as bad as he seems, or if his vices are aimed to prove a point.

The story is exceptionally descriptive and allows one to get into the flow of events. It felt like watching a movie. Each scene was vivid, and I could picture what each character would look like. The author tells Galen Bray’s story in the first person while the other parts describe the people and the happenings in Voulhire and the Land of the Princes. I was most intrigued by the fact that Voulhire and the world around it are fictional. Matthew’s storytelling is gripping. At some point, I imagined Voulhire was a real place, and the events were from history.

Though the book begins with Galen Bray’s story, it seemed to focus more on Voulhire; the land Galen would find solitude after his breathtaking escape from the terror and onslaught in the Land of the Princes. There were so many loose ends though. This made the book a bit hard to follow. Worse still, the book alternated Galen’s story with that of different Voulhirans and with different events in Voulhire. This added to my challenge with the stories. I assume this might be so because it is an introductory book. As such, character development is on.

Notwithstanding the few aforementioned challenges, I would rate this book four out of four stars. This is because the story is deep and captivating. It draws you in, and you wouldn’t want to put down this book until you see what happens next. Beginning at the prologue, it had an intensity, which I must say, served its purpose. Moreover, I didn’t find a single error in this book, which made it even more delightful. I also found the 10-page reference guide at the end of the book quite helpful. This strengthened my thoughts that Voulhire just might be real and these events actually happened.

The book has a lot of magic and violence. For this reason, it might not suit those averse to such. As expected, the book ended with a big cliffhanger, as did the prologue. I feel like We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies only scratched the surface of the events from a past world era. And I would be most delighted to follow the author as he unravels this.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I don’t usually read books like this, but I’ve read other books by Tysz, and I agree that he provides great descriptions in his work. I’ll have to give this one a try sometime. Thanks for a detailed review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Rivers of the Black Moon by Andrew Goliszek
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

I read and reviewed this book too and it's amazing! I am currently in the 3rd installment and I can imagine you want to read the next book. Nice review
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

maggi3 wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 02:50 I don’t usually read books like this, but I’ve read other books by Tysz, and I agree that he provides great descriptions in his work. I’ll have to give this one a try sometime. Thanks for a detailed review!
It's a nice book though!
Joy C
Currently Reading:

Post by Joy C »

maggi3 wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 02:50 I don’t usually read books like this, but I’ve read other books by Tysz, and I agree that he provides great descriptions in his work. I’ll have to give this one a try sometime. Thanks for a detailed review!
Yea, I thought I wouldn't be able to read this when I picked the book but chose it when I saw that Voulhire was a nation created by Matthew Tysz himself and it was a great and enjoyable read for me. I believe you would like it also. Thanks for your kind words.
Joy C
Currently Reading:

Post by Joy C »

John Owen wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 10:06 I read and reviewed this book too and it's amazing! I am currently in the 3rd installment and I can imagine you want to read the next book. Nice review
Yes, you are right. I have downloaded the book 2 already. Thanks for your comment
Joy C
Currently Reading:

Post by Joy C »

John Owen wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 10:07
maggi3 wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 02:50
It's a nice book though!
Yes, it is. Thanks for commenting
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Joy C wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 17:34
John Owen wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 10:06 I read and reviewed this book too and it's amazing! I am currently in the 3rd installment and I can imagine you want to read the next book. Nice review
Yes, you are right. I have downloaded the book 2 already. Thanks for your comment
You're welcome!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a fascinating book and series. The author has a vivid imagination and is able to express his thoughts well. Wonderful review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The author has done a remarkable job of devising an entire civilization. Few writers can do that.
Benson Mugweru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benson-mugweru.html
Latest Review: The United States of Opioids by Harry Nelson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Benson Mugweru »

I just downloaded this book and I am looking forward to reading it.
We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

I just read and reviewed this book and I would agree that the prologue is indeed great. The author also made this book interesting for a first book in the series.
Joy C
Currently Reading:

Post by Joy C »

Prisallen wrote: 05 May 2021, 08:38 This sounds like a fascinating book and series. The author has a vivid imagination and is able to express his thoughts well. Wonderful review!
I agree with you. Thanks for your nice comments
Joy C
Currently Reading:

Post by Joy C »

markodim721 wrote: 24 May 2021, 11:52 The author has done a remarkable job of devising an entire civilization. Few writers can do that.
Exactly. I think so too. And he was able to put it all together like some historical event. Thanks for the nice comment.
Joy C
Currently Reading:

Post by Joy C »

Benson Mugweru wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 11:58 I just downloaded this book and I am looking forward to reading it.
We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
I'm sure you'd love it and even read the others in the series

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”