Review by Joez -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under G...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joez.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Joez -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under G...

Post by Joez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a book written by Matthew Tysz. A gripping tale of newfound hope in a foreign land, where the excess and glamour camouflage hideous, and sinister actions lying in the wait. The story revolves around a young man, Galen Bray, a new arrival in Voulhire. A young man who is determined to make the most out of his new life. Together with his new friends, he sets out to explore Voulhire as he sets up his new life and the business he inherits from his uncle.

The plot developed slowly for the first seventy pages. The author forewarns the reader of this fact, so it was expected. For a story introducing a series with nine books, I felt the pacing was done exquisitely well. With the author's note, I anticipated a slower and longer build-up which wasn't the case at all. This is just one of the many things I loved about the book. I only noted that there were fewer female characters in the lead, which was dissapointing. I hope the rest of the books will rectify this since I intend to binge on all of them.

I loved the sections where Galen Bray interacted with two of his friends. There was an abundance of sarcasm, male camaraderie, and humorous commentaries that I looked forward to every time their part ended. I enjoyed, in equal measure, other sections of the book that were heavy on politics and plotting. For instance, Lord Meldorath being imprisoned felt too good to be true and leaves the reader anticipating when the other shoe will drop. The rebel group Riva Rohavi's insurrection against King Wilhelm provoke a lot of questions regarding a possible collaboration with one of the villains in the book. A curious possibility that is in direct contradiction with their doctrines.

The book was well-edited as I found no errors. I met with a few obscene words and suggestive language. Their presence disqualifies a younger audience, so I would suggest the book to adults who love long, fantasy stories. The characters were developed so well, you couldn't help but identify with something about them.

Matthew Tysz orchestrated a very fine balance between the fantasy aspects of the book and realistic expectations. This is something I haven't seen much of, especially in books that are predominantly fantasy. It's a journey you want to be on. Just the right amount of fantasy to keep you on your seat's edge and enough realistic elements to keep you grounded and empathetic to the plight of the Voulhirians.

Because of all these reasons, I give it a whopping 4 out of 4 stars.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Rivers of the Black Moon by Andrew Goliszek
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 115%

Post by John Owen »

I however found no issues with the slow build-up. Instead, I found it quite helpful in enjoying the book more. Quite an informative review!
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”