Review by Sarrikoziol -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Review by Sarrikoziol -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Sarrikoziol »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Voulhire is a kingdom that prides itself on being at peace and its movement into the Golden Age of prosperity. The population seems content, industrious, and hardworking under the rule of King Wilhelm. While he has become benevolent with age, he is still revered as fair. However, the study and use of magic and magical objects may have woken up more than Voulhire and King Wilhelm are ready to handle.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is only the first book in the Voulhire series. The book holds 214 pages followed by 14 pages of “Voulhire: A Reference Guide.” In this story, we follow the path of two main characters in this book - Galen Bray and Lord Eldus Alderman. Galen is a younger man who was raised in the harshness of the Land of the Princes. It is a kingdom full of strife, hardship, pain, and suffering. Galen finds himself an heir to an uncle he did not know existed. He is to undertake the journey to Magnum Caelum, a township within Voulhire. It is a long and hard journey, but Galen is used to hard. Upon arrival, he finds himself in awe of the land. He is humble to all the people he encounters, but will it last? Galen is surrounded by people with which he is unfamiliar. He possesses no clue if they are true to heart, or if they have ulterior motives.

Lord Eldus Alderman is a former judge and family man. He has recently been appointed the new Lord in the township of Hillport. The king has asked him and his family to take on this burden so it may heal after the previous rulers' reign. Lord Eldus designs a plan to bring forth the development of the southern coastal township. It is prosperous in fish, but it lacks education and guidance. The previous Lords of Hillport brought fear and torment to the people. Lord Eldus must first figure out how to heal the people before they can move forward. Will he find a way to promote healing among the people? Will the people finally have the guidance they need to live the simple yet blooming lives they have wanted for so long?

Matthew Tysz brings forth a uniquely built world. The descriptions of some of the characters and the landscaping are expertly done. He does a grand job of just yanking you right into the story from the start and keeping your attention. There are so many intricate and moving parts of Voulhire that the author granted us a favor by adding a reference guide at the end. The reference guide is one of my favorite parts of the book. It explains and gives some depth to points in the story that may leave questions about “what”, “who”, and “where.” I feel it was extremely helpful. It pulled together bits of the book which left me with easy questions normally answered among the pages. For example, the book goes through its history of rulers. It was a fairly quick explanation in some cases. This was by far my least favorite aspect. Luckily, the reference guide conveniently lists them all out.

I completely enjoyed reading about all the moving parts of Voulhire and its people. It was exceptional how the book could loop a character with another when they seemed completely unrelated. I found the chapter titles to be interesting and unique. I did find the flow to be off-putting at times. I would get caught up in what was happening, and it would change characters and stories with the next chapter. Fortunately, it all comes together and makes more sense in the end.

The book was professionally edited as I only found one grammatical error. There are some profanities and sexual-based humor. Therefore, I would say it is suitable for young adults or older. It has suspense, humor, tension, fear, curiosity, and magic. If you enjoy these aspects in your books, I recommend reading this one. All things considered, it left me wanting more. I cannot wait to read book two; therefore, I happily award it 4 out of 4 stars. 

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Your review is the first one I’ve seen that mentions the reference guide. I can image that would be very helpful as you start out on this nine-book series. Thank you for your interesting and informative review! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

This is a wonderful review! I like how you explain hi the book feels. I loved the book, too.
Oreoluwa281
Currently Reading: David's Sling
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oreoluwa281.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Oreoluwa281 »

I enjoyed this book as well the review, your review made justice to this book. Thanks for sharing this
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarrikoziol »

MsH2k wrote: 06 May 2021, 01:17 Your review is the first one I’ve seen that mentions the reference guide. I can image that would be very helpful as you start out on this nine-book series. Thank you for your interesting and informative review! :balloon:
I hadn't realized no one else had mentioned it. Yes, it comes in very handy especially when the author references a character we never meet.
Swollen Members
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarrikoziol »

The Holy Grail wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 07:40 This is a wonderful review! I like how you explain hi the book feels. I loved the book, too.
Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it as well.
Swollen Members
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarrikoziol »

Oreoluwa281 wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 04:41 I enjoyed this book as well the review, your review made justice to this book. Thanks for sharing this
Thank you so much. I have enjoyed reading this series. I am glad it is showing through the review.
Swollen Members

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”