Review by Upeksha -- The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Upeksha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upeksha.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by Upeksha -- The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Upeksha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Commander" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The economy of the United States is under a sabotage attack. The target is the oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. The United States Coast Guard Commander, Jacob Edwards, and his crew have been assigned to the mission of lifting this threat before it damages the oil industry, which itself is the main income of the country. While he and his crew are trying to figure out the sabotage plan, he has to deal with the tentacles of the enemies within the coast guard structure as well. Of course, Jacob is a talented officer, but this time the enemy group seems to be quite strong. Certainly, he has stepped into a dangerous game! Will he still be able to carry out his mission?

Packed with action and thrill, thus flows the plot of the novel, The Commander by Dan E. Hendrickson. It is a fast-paced novel, dealing with a lot of interesting themes, such as martial arts, military involvement, political blackmail, Russian underworld, and many more.

What I liked very much about the plot are its organization and the writing style. There is good coordination among the storylines. Chapters have got catchy titles, hinting out what the reader can be awaited in them. Each chapter has got more than one storyline, but since they are separated again by relevant titles, readers can easily adjust their minds to the new storyline. The whole story is full of adventures. Every movement of action is precisely detailed, creating powerful visual imageries.

Also, I liked the way the characters are handled in the book. Especially the character of Edwards has been developed as a great example of what a leader, husband, and father should be. He is a loving father and a husband for his family and at work, he is an exemplary leader who always cares for the safety and the wellbeing of his crew. On the other hand, the antagonists in the novel are also remarkable. I was amazed at how easily they could find a loose point of the people to control them as puppets in their cleverly crafted plan.

Nevertheless, there are two negative issues I would like to point out. Firstly, as the story is narrated from several perspectives, the entire sabotage plan is exposed to us, even before the plot reaches its peak. As I acknowledge it damages the curiosity of the plot. Therefore, it would be much better if the details are released gradually, sustaining the suspension effectively in the minds of the readers.

Secondly, I suppose that it needed a sort of military knowledge to enjoy the plot to the fullest. The author has used several military terms and sometimes I needed to put an extra effort to get used to them. Hence, I suggest including a reference guide to explain such applications, for those readers who are not familiar with them.

With all those points listed above, I would like to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I have deducted one star, because of the negative issues I have mentioned. Other than that, the book is well written and professionally edited as I did not come across a single grammatical error. Finally, I would like to recommend this book to the fans of thrillers, especially to those who love books with military intervention.

The Commander
View: on Bookshelves
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I love action packed thrillers. Thanks for the nice review
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

As always, I think that America will win this fight as well. The book sounds like a nice thriller. Nice review
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Interesting! I too enjoy books that have chapters with catchy titles.

The book sounds like an interesting one as once again, America seems to be under attack and will no doubt win in the end.
Maybe I will check it out.

Great review! Well done!
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It looks like a very interesting thriller and I should add it to my list. Thank you for this inspiring review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Jacob Edwards sounds like a wholesome main character. But I agree that the author should not have revealed the plan up front. Suspense is part of the fun of reading a crime thriller.

Thank you for an honest review and analysis.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Sounds like an awesome thriller! Sadly, I don’t think I have sufficient military knowledge and appreciation to be able to enjoy this book. Thank you for your insightful review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

It is too bad about revealing the sabotage plot early. Especially since this book sounds like it is filled with action and espionage. Thanks for the review.
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

Seems to be an action-packed book. However several perspectives can be potentially confusing. Thanks for a great review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Edwards sounds like an amazing character. I enjoyed the way you described him. The plot seems to be true to reality! Thanks for the recommendation.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I do hope that Jacob would be able to save the day. I like the storyline and might check this one out. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Fascinating review, I love how you've explained everything so clearly.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This storyline has captured my interest. I think I may add this book to my list. I don’t read a lot of suspense novels, so knowing the sabotage plot wouldn’t bother me that much. Thank you for an excellent review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This sounds like an enjoyable read, one of those books that you cannot put down.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I love a novel that is action packed. I will be on the lookout for this book. Nice review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”