Review by The frant1c reader -- Final Diagnosis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by The frant1c reader -- Final Diagnosis

Post by The frant1c reader »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Diagnosis" by J. T. Madicus.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you expect this book to be a normal, stereotypical medical drama, where a bunch of doctors and interns run around hospital corridors treating patients with an overcomplex romantical web between the characters – NO. IT'S. NOT.

Final Diagnosis: No Second Chances by J.T. Madicus starts on a noonday where our protagonist 'Tseng'-- a doctor by profession and also a drug addict (quite ironical right!) -- is found gulping down whiskey for 'breakfast' (well... an alcoholic as well). Dr. Tseng, an extremely talented diagnostician characterized with impressive deducting skills, fluid sarcasm and a serious deficit for basic manners is living a lonely, friendless life basically functioning on a constant supply of 'orange bottles' consisting of drug pills. (a very ideal health practitioner for the matter).

The story gets a mysterious plot when our protagonist ‘Dr. Tseng' finds himself handcuffed in a cold, dull basement with four iPads on a table and three companions—a female hacker, a street fighter, and a meek chemist – all former medical practitioners. But all of them had three things in common. FIRST. A troubled past. SECOND. A deep passion for medicine and LAST – a threat on dear life. “Diagnose the patient, Dr. Tseng, and earn your freedom”, a distorted voice echoes in the basement. What is this place? Prague. Who are these people? Members of a secret organization! Why have they trapped these people and what do they want from them? Do these doctors have to diagnose patients to save their own lives? You'll soon know.

The very first thing I liked about this book was that this book stands out from other medical stories. Also, instances, where our protagonist seems to show off his deductive skills, reminded me, although very vaguely of Sherlockian science of deduction. A serious advantage for busy people that it's a short-one day read with only a little more than a 100 pages. The language used in the book is not too formal rather colloquial, easy to understand. Perfect for a light read. In addition to this, you get to learn medicine! Even better for medicos who get to have entertainment along with learning. There is a humorous tone to the writing which adds an extra flavor to the book.

I would like to recommend this book to anyone who loves medical dramas or even thrillers. Overall, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I found this book to be professionally edited with minimal profanity. And last but not the least, the book ends on a cliffhanger so you know there’s more drama to come!

Final Diagnosis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The three common factors among the team are intriguing. It adds to the mystery of why they are brought together. Thanks for the insights.
The frant1c reader

sssns wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 17:36 The three common factors among the team are intriguing. It adds to the mystery of why they are brought together. Thanks for the insights.
Thank you for those kind words! :D
~Dune.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Your review was very intriguing. Dr. Tseng seems to be a character I am definitely going to like :lol: I would love to read this book to know why he's being kept in the basement by those three lovely people :lol: and if he's able to serve his purpose.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

Although i differ with your opinion about the book, I loved your review. Your enthusiasm is well conveyed! Yes, this book wasn't the typical medical book you expect and it was certainly fun. Thanks for the review!
The frant1c reader

Ruchi Raina wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 12:01 Your review was very intriguing. Dr. Tseng seems to be a character I am definitely going to like :lol: I would love to read this book to know why he's being kept in the basement by those three lovely people :lol: and if he's able to serve his purpose.
Go ahead and give it a try ! :D
~Dune.
The frant1c reader

DyanaFl wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 12:14 Although i differ with your opinion about the book, I loved your review. Your enthusiasm is well conveyed! Yes, this book wasn't the typical medical book you expect and it was certainly fun. Thanks for the review!
There's nothing wrong with having different opinions. Thank you for appreciating my work ! Your kind words made my day ! :D
~Dune.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”