Review by AnnOgochukwu -- The Demon of the Well

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Review by AnnOgochukwu -- The Demon of the Well

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Demon of the Well" by James B. Hendricks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Demon of the Well is a long narrative poem comprising 297 quatrain verses with quite a unique, alternating rhyme scheme; the second and fourth lines have end rhymes, while the first and third lines are written in free verse. Set in the desert dunes of the Middle Ages, the themes of this story include war, deception, ambition, greed, hope, and courage. The story is divided into four parts and is told from the first-person perspective of two protagonists, an old man, and a young boy.

Persuaded by a curious young boy and his friends, an old trader reluctantly takes a walk down memory lane, back to many years ago, when he was a young trader. While en route to a trade city, the then-young trader overhears two brothers talking about retrieving a long-lost treasure, a magic cup with which the future could be seen. Overcome by greed, and forgetting his former business, he offers to guide the brothers to their destination, the Devil's Springs, for he "knew the springs and trails of the desert far and wide". On getting to the Devil's Springs, he finds out that it is indeed a devil's lair, for alas, it is a demon's abode, and to acquire this so-desired treasure, a costly price must be paid.

Many years have passed since his first trip to the boiling springs, and now the old trader, in the company of his young friend, must, once again, travel through the dreary trails that lead to the demon's lair, for the old man must retrieve a lost belonging of his, in order to save his desert homeland.

The most striking feature of this book is its diction. The symphony of words was so beautiful and endearing, I could go on and on ranting about it. Also, the diction was not too sophisticated or formal that it would become incomprehensible to an average reader, as is common with poetry. The author managed to balance the unique sophistication of poetry with simplicity, thus making it easier for all to appreciate the beauty of this piece. I appreciate this simple sophistication, for very often, lack of comprehension is the reason I never make it to the end of a poetry piece. That the author succeeded in making this story poetry is especially commendable. It not only made the story more artistic, but also easier to memorize and fun to read. James B. Hendricks outdid himself on this piece.

The story of how this piece came to being is also an interesting one. After years of research and unsuccessful attempts at writing a prose version of an initial story, an off-hand suggestion from a friend helps Hendricks to discover 'the Muse'. "With the Muse in charge, the story [a new story] came tumbling out," and whenever an idea or verse came to him, he would scribble it down on whatever material was available; paper or wood. Eventually, over eighteen years, the last of the verses came into place, and this epic work came to being. I reckon that eighteen years is a long time to work on a piece, but I think the result is worth the wait. And in the absence of any error, this book has duly earned 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend The Demon of the Well to everyone and anyone who likes a good read, children and adults alike. It would make a perfect bedtime story for the young ones, and a nice light-read for the older ones. O lover of poetry and folktale, this book is especially for you.

The Demon of the Well
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Live and let live, baby.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I saw the title and I thought it was a fantasy tell. I aint judging a book by its cover anymore. ๐Ÿ˜‚
Great review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This book has received positive reviews from many reviewers. I am happy you you found the book to be amazing too. Perhaps its time to read it for myself. Thanks for the well-written review and recommendation.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

REIGN GODDESS wrote: โ†‘13 Nov 2020, 05:29 I saw the title and I thought it was a fantasy tell. I aint judging a book by its cover anymore. ๐Ÿ˜‚
Great review.
Don't judge, sis ๐Ÿ˜‚. It could pass for fantasy though. Thanks for commenting.
Live and let live, baby.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Saint Bruno wrote: โ†‘13 Nov 2020, 06:21 This book has received positive reviews from many reviewers. I am happy you you found the book to be amazing too. Perhaps its time to read it for myself. Thanks for the well-written review and recommendation.
It's a very short read and you'll enjoy it. Thank you for your kind comment ๐Ÿ˜Š.
Live and let live, baby.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This one seems interesting. I wouldn't mind a poem or two. Thanks for such a detailed review ๐Ÿ‘
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I love poetry and lore is very welcome too :) I guess, this one can be very interesting! Thanks for a great review!
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

It's beautiful when authors substitute readability for highfalutin words (sorry I couldn't find a simpler word). Sha ... Thanks for this detailed review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I've seen a few reviews about this book, but your summary makes it sound so intriguing. Normally, I don't fancy poetry, but maybe I will give this a try.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Poetry is not something that I enjoy. But the story in it seems interesting. Thanks for your wonderful review!
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I sampled this book some time ago and I really enjoyed the little bit that I read! Judging by your review, I may go back to it as it only seems to get better :) I, too, enjoyed the ingenuity and the diction :)

Nicely written review! Nice flow :) Thank you!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This is a thriller and adventurous book. Honestly, I wish I have powers to foster the future ๐Ÿค”. Great review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I can see how this would be a good bedtime story for children. It is amazing that the author continued to work on it for 18 years. It sounds like a unique book. Thanks for your wonderful review!
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: โ†‘20 Nov 2020, 17:43 This is a thriller and adventurous book. Honestly, I wish I have powers to foster the future ๐Ÿค”. Great review.
The future might be too much to handle. On seeing the future, the old man in this story was frightened, and he hide the chalice once again. I can only wonder what he saw.
Perhaps, not knowing the future is a blessing in disguise.
Thank you for finding time to comment ๐Ÿ˜Š.
Live and let live, baby.
Kirsi Cultrera
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I do think the story itself is interesting, but as I am somewhat allergic to poetry, I have my doubts about this book. Who knows, maybe it could actually become the first book with poems that I was able to finish... :eusa-think:

Anyway, thank you for a nice review!
Kirsi

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€