Review by ButterscotchCherrie -- The Memoir Man

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review by ButterscotchCherrie -- The Memoir Man

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Memoir Man" by Frances Webb.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've observed some intriguing characters in my neighbourhood, like the man who goes round cafe tables begging for cigarettes, and the lady who sits in the square with her craft projects. In her anthology The Memoir Man, author Frances Webb uses human activities in public places as the raw material for short stories and poems. Typically, a narrator recounts an incident they observed or were somehow involved in. These vary from the ordinary to the bizarre.

The stories and poems are at their most effective when the encounter changes the narrator in some way. For example, the story "A Map of the Streets of the City of New York" is narrated by a teacher of English to Spanish-speaking students. This teacher, whose gender is not explicitly mentioned, repeats the phrase "I am employed" from time to time while recounting various incidents from classes. This shows how such employment shapes that narrator's identity, which was fascinating to think about. Something else I loved about this story was the way it explored different levels of communication and understanding.

Misunderstandings between characters give rise to tension in some of the stories. I appreciated the author's skill in building such tension even when there was no interaction between the narrator and the characters. For example, in the story "What to Do What to Do", the narrator's fretting about the shell of an egg eaten by a fellow passenger sheds light on their own anxiety.

The above story offers a prime example of the author's blow-by-blow style. As the scenes play out, readers are whisked along at a fast pace. Plenty of details are given, yet most of the stories take just a few minutes to read. As a result of the stories' brevity, the jumps from one piece to the next come often. These switches sometimes made me feel dizzy, and I believe the collection could be improved if the works were grouped more by theme. There is a consecutive series of short stories and poems with train settings, but some of the others could also be ordered more logically.

Some disorientation could also be caused by the extreme shortness of many stories. Very short works can feel complete, of course, but some of the ones in this book felt insufficiently developed. In those cases, the endings did not pack as much of a punch as short fiction ideally should. At best, however, this collection did contain some noteworthy examples of endings that could linger in readers' minds. For example, the story "Keepsake" might get you thinking about the significance you assign to encounters with strangers.

As the collection includes relatable themes, and most of the work in it is polished but of slightly variable quality, I rate it three out of four stars. I'd recommend it to fans of short, pithy stories or lovers of poems that lend lyricism to everyday experiences. City dwellers might particularly savour the familiarity of various incidents on public transport.

The Memoir Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I read the eponymous first story about a man visiting a library regularly while presumably writing his memoirs. I didn't get it. Maybe I should read it again?
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

I liked it because of everything the narrator dreamed up while watching him, and how this triggered recollections from her own life. The best of the other stories and poems effectively explored the theme of the strange attachments we make to people we don't really know. The story about the Hispanic students is award-winning.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mod
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Carefully observing the human activities in public places and creatively using it as the raw material for short stories or poems appears to be quite an excellent idea to me. The stories made out of it reflect more closely with human life. Thanks for your insightful review. I should be looking at this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I have always been fascinated with this collection and its intriguing premise. I think about time I read this. Thank you for such an insightful review!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

sanjus wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 03:10 Carefully observing the human activities in public places and creatively using it as the raw material for short stories or poems appears to be quite an excellent idea to me. The stories made out of it reflect more closely with human life. Thanks for your insightful review. I should be looking at this book.
The author definitely had a great idea to turn this into fiction. Thank you for your kind comment!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 22 Nov 2020, 04:16 I have always been fascinated with this collection and its intriguing premise. I think about time I read this. Thank you for such an insightful review!
One thing I love about short stories is that they can easily be read in a coffee break. Thank you for your kind comment!
Mod
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

The author's style sounds good. Thanks for the great review!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

anua24060 wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 23:22 The author's style sounds good. Thanks for the great review!
It's important in short stories, and the author pulls it off well here. Thanks for your comment!
Mod
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe the book is still a suitable read for short fiction lovers :) Thank you for your great and insightful review!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Ellylion wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 08:54 I believe the book is still a suitable read for short fiction lovers :) Thank you for your great and insightful review!
Short fiction lovers will indeed find plenty to enjoy in this one. Thanks for your comment!
Mod
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

When I first saw the book cover, I didn't know what to expect. Your review makes me want to read it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 07:21 I read the eponymous first story about a man visiting a library regularly while presumably writing his memoirs. I didn't get it. Maybe I should read it again?
I agree. I also read the first story before. Its abrupt and vague ending leaves me confused, and I'm not sure if the other stories would also share this trait.

Nevertheless, your review seems interesting, ButterscotchCherrie. I guess I can give this book another try.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I would have to skip this one, but I really enjoyed reading your detailed and insightful review. I am sure readers interested in this kind od book will find it worth the read.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Tarilan wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 13:55 When I first saw the book cover, I didn't know what to expect. Your review makes me want to read it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
I had the same thought about the cover when I first saw it. The appeal of the book is certainly more in the people than the eggs!
Mod

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”