Review by Maconstewart -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Maconstewart -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by Maconstewart »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first of the nine-volume series We Are Voulhire. In this volume, Tysz introduces the reader to a fantasy universe that consists of the Cosmos (physical world), Caromentis (magical world), and Alitheia (spiritual world). As the series name implies, the majority of the story takes place in the Cosmos, the physical world, in the country of Voulhire. This book is a story of beginnings. A young man starts a new beginning when he inherits his great-uncle’s property and business in Voulhire. The King makes the official declaration that Voulhire has indeed entered a Golden Age. An honorable judge is appointed Lordship over the small town of Hilport by the King.

I found the first part of the book overwhelming and, at times, confusing. The author has built an entire universe that consists of three worlds. He provides a map of Voulhire so that the reader can follow discussions and movements in the story. He also provides a glossary of terms that defines new words used for this world, places, titles, flora, past kings, and eras that are referenced in the text, etc. There is so much detail provided and so many character introductions that, in the beginning, I was confused as to who was who, where did everyone belong, and how did everyone and everything fit into the plot! At one point I thought of giving up since I could not grasp what the plot was and why I was being inundated with so much information, people, and places. Then it occurred to me that this is the first in a series of nine volumes. This book is laying the foundation for that series, introducing the players, plots, sub-plots, and places that will need to be known for the series. After thinking of the book in those terms, as a foundation, I found the reading become easier. I stopped assuming there was a plot that would be introduced, played out, and concluded in this 200-page book. Yes, there are some conclusions by the end of the book, but there is so much more to be discovered in the subsequent installments to this series.

Galen Bray asks no questions when he is notified that his unknown Great-Uncle wants him to come to Voulhire. As a resident of the Land of the Princes, Galen has known only war and poverty. “In the Lands of the Princes, it was death by the sword or a slow starvation.” Upon his arrival, he is in awe of the sky, the roads, buildings, and people. For the first time in his life, he feels like he matters. Unfortunately, Galen’s Great-Uncle had passed before he made it to Voulhire, but he did leave a letter for him and detailed notes on how to do black-smiting. Galen would need to learn that trade to continue the business he inherited.

Tysz uses both first-person and third-person perspectives in this novel. From Galen’s perspective, first-person is used. All other character perspectives are in third-person. I found this to be unique and pleasing. The author did a wonderful job on the flow from one perspective to the next. Each chapter heading is clear on where you are and what part of the story you are in while reading. After my initial confusion in the early chapters of the book, I found my footing, and the flow from one place and person to the other was smooth.

Tysz provides exceptional descriptions of this world he has created. He spent a lot of time on creating very detailed aspects that make it a unique place of fantasy where magic exists. The setting is similar to 18th Century England mixed with some modern aspects. For example, there are Kings, knights, and castles, and aspects of a caste system in addition to steam powered automobiles. One problem I have with the novel is that the people are humans and the planet is referred to in the novel as Earth. I wonder why, after so much detail of a different universe was provided, a unique fantasy name for the people and world was not created. I did like the fact that although Voulhire has an 18th Century feel to it, it does not have the language and dialect often used for that time period. The dialog is modern, making it much easier to understand. Most of the information the reader receives through the story is provided through dialog between characters. I found this appealing as I find when monologue is used in books to provide details it can sometimes become verbose and less engrossing.

Overall, I enjoyed reading We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz and gladly rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I found no errors while reading, and therefore conclude that it was professionally edited. The novel does use a small amount of profanity in the dialog; however, its use is fitting for the text and not overused. There are no explicit sex scenes but there are references to sexual conduct and pedophilia. For that reason and also due to the complexity of the story, I do not feel that this book is appropriate for young readers. I do recommend it to teens and adults that enjoy fantasy novels.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Justjaal_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justjaal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Justjaal_ »

Great review! I was confused at first too, with all the characters and different perspectives, but eventually I got used to it. It's an awesome book with great characters, I already finished to read the second book of the series and I can't wait to read the third.
Maconstewart

Post by Maconstewart »

Justjaal_ wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 00:56 Great review! I was confused at first too, with all the characters and different perspectives, but eventually I got used to it. It's an awesome book with great characters, I already finished to read the second book of the series and I can't wait to read the third.
I did enjoy book 1, but am hesitant to get into a large series righ now. But, I never say never! :lire4: Thank you for your comment.
Lisa

Heidadel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Heidadel »

I love the story's world building because it helps expand the story. The creation of three worlds is enough to sustain the story extensively. Thanks for an amazing review.
Maconstewart

Post by Maconstewart »

Heidadel wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 11:58 I love the story's world building because it helps expand the story. The creation of three worlds is enough to sustain the story extensively. Thanks for an amazing review.
I agree! The author has the foundation for an infinite number of plots to emerge. Thank you for your comment!
Lisa

Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

This is a great sci-fi book, and your review is lovely!
Maconstewart

Post by Maconstewart »

Tonika632 wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 07:00 This is a great sci-fi book, and your review is lovely!
Than you, Tonika632!
Lisa

Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages by Sinclair Wilkinson

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This book can get really confusing in the beginning. It was the shifting of perspectives that made it possible for me to follow through the story as well. Thanks for your great analysis.
Maconstewart

Post by Maconstewart »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 19:56 This book can get really confusing in the beginning. It was the shifting of perspectives that made it possible for me to follow through the story as well. Thanks for your great analysis.
Yes, there were a few moments there that I thought about giving up! I am glad I continued on, though.
Thank you for your comment.
Lisa

unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like it had some great but complicated worldbuilding. I'm glad the author included a map to make it less confusing. Great review!
Maconstewart

Post by Maconstewart »

unamilagra wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 17:01 This sounds like it had some great but complicated worldbuilding. I'm glad the author included a map to make it less confusing. Great review!
He certainly went into a lot of detail in his creation. The mao certainly helped! Thank you for your comment!
Lisa

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I found the first part of the book overwhelming and, at times, confusing. The author has built an entire universe that consists of three worlds. He provides a map of Voulhire so that the reader can follow discussions and movements in the story. He also provides a glossary of terms that defines new words used for this world, places, titles, flora, past kings, and eras that are referenced in the text, etc. There is so much detail provided and so many character introductions that, in the beginning, I was confused as to who was who, where did everyone belong, and how did everyone and everything fit into the plot! At one point I thought of giving up since I could not grasp what the plot was and why I was being inundated with so much information, people, and places. Then it occurred to me that this is the first in a series of nine volumes. This book is laying the foundation for that series, introducing the players, plots, sub-plots, and places that will need to be known for the series. After thinking of the book in those terms, as a foundation, I found the reading become easier. I stopped assuming there was a plot that would be introduced, played out, and concluded in this 200-page book. Yes, there are some conclusions by the end of the book, but there is so much more to be discovered in the subsequent installments to this series.
This feeling of being overwhelmed happens to me a lot when I read fantasy or sci-fi, and that's why I often avoid these genres. Authors take a lot of time and effort in constructing whole new worlds, but I'm not sure dumping all the information on the reader in the first installment is the way to go.
Great review!
Maconstewart

Post by Maconstewart »

Lunastella wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 18:25
This feeling of being overwhelmed happens to me a lot when I read fantasy or sci-fi, and that's why I often avoid these genres. Authors take a lot of time and effort in constructing whole new worlds, but I'm not sure dumping all the information on the reader in the first installment is the way to go.
Great review!
Thank you for your comment!
Lisa

Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Having read this book, I agree with your analysis. Thanks for the insightful and detailed review.
Maconstewart

Post by Maconstewart »

Saint Bruno wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 04:36 Having read this book, I agree with your analysis. Thanks for the insightful and detailed review.
Thank you for your comment!
Lisa

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”