Review by Manali_DC -- An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Review by Manali_DC -- An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

Post by Manali_DC »

[Following is a volunteer review of "An Imperfect Crime" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker is a crime and mystery novel and the first book of the Detective Sanchez/Father Montero mystery series.

Peter Simpson, Allister Brown, and Sarah Parker are friends and aspiring novelists. They are dejected and exasperated with how difficult getting a book published seems to be! One evening, over a few drinks, they hatch a crazy plan which would ensure that their books get published! They decide to commit the 'perfect crime'! Stage a murder, plant the clues, and once the case garners enough notoriety - come forward with the truth so that no one gets convicted. Except, it does not quite go as planned, and an innocent man is convicted and executed.

The only two people not convinced about his guilt are Father Montero, the convicts' confessor, and Detective Lori Sanchez, who always felt that the crime scene was too staged. When Father Montero unofficially digs up a few suspicious clues, he ropes in Detective Sanchez and they decide to look into the case again. What follows is a thrilling mystery that takes them through a trail littered with drugs, missing persons and bodies from Phoenix to Mexico.

Father Guillermo Montero and Lori Sanchez are an unusual and interesting detective team. Father Montero wasn't always a priest. He had been a soldier and a policeman before taking his vows. The story hints at past events that led to Father Montero giving up his gun holster for a priestly collar, but never actually reveals the real reason. This sense of mystery adds to the charisma and the contradiction that is Guillermo Montero - especially when the priest handles his guns with more than a little ease during a high stakes car chase. Detective Sanchez is an energetic, conscientious, ambitious policeman who remains steady and calm even under fire. Both the main characters are well developed, memorable and likable. The bond of friendship that develops between them, as the story progresses, makes the tale more interesting and provides the lighthearted moments of the story.

This novel has one of the most exciting and gripping opening chapters that I have read, and this is what I liked most about the book. An innocent man goes to his death bewildered and wondering why his friends are not coming forward with the evidence that would prove his innocence. What follows is a page-turner of a story that leads the reader through confusing clues, unexpected twists and turns and delightful breakthroughs. The book is well written and well edited and I found no typographical errors.

The opening chapters, strangely, are also the reason why I was a little disappointed with the rest of the book. The book begins on such an exciting high note that the subsequent chapters always seem to fall a little short. The rest of the book seems to be a more tame telling of how the case unfolds. Nevertheless, it is a good and gripping plot that will keep the reader hooked till the end. I liked the way the story ended - the author did not try to tie up every loose end. He left it an 'imperfect crime'!

I give An Imperfect Crime 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who reads and enjoys books of the crime and mystery genre. It does contain a few violent scenes and profane language and might not be suitable for children.

An Imperfect Crime
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

Your review of An Imperfect Crime piqued my interest. What could have gone so wrong with the three friends' original plan? Thank you for the recommendation!
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Dominik_G wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 04:25 Your review of An Imperfect Crime piqued my interest. What could have gone so wrong with the three friends' original plan? Thank you for the recommendation!
To plan a perfect dummy crime and then get the maximum punishment for a crime you did not commit sounds like a nightmare. This is an interesting story. Thank you for reading and leaving a comment!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The premise is interesting, and I'm amused by the idea of a gun-toting priest. Sounds like a blast to read! Thanks for the recommendation.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The plot is very intriguing. Great review!
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

inaramid wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 19:17 The premise is interesting, and I'm amused by the idea of a gun-toting priest. Sounds like a blast to read! Thanks for the recommendation.
:D
Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Well, the book certainly has an unusual concept. I would not have expected a group of aspiring authors to stage a crime for popularity. In addition, I am intrigued by Father Montero's backstory. I wonder what led him to become a priest. Maybe he wants to atone for past deeds?

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 23:10 Well, the book certainly has an unusual concept. I would not have expected a group of aspiring authors to stage a crime for popularity. In addition, I am intrigued by Father Montero's backstory. I wonder what led him to become a priest. Maybe he wants to atone for past deeds?

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat:
Father Montero, as a gun toting priest, definitely had my interest too. This seems to be one book in a series- would love to find out more about him in later books. Thanks for reading.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

This seems to be a refreshing C/T/M/H book with a well-developed plot. It also provides a good lesson that playing with fire is never safe. Nevertheless, this looks like a book I may enjoy. Thanks for your interesting review.
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

Sou Hi wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 21:04 This seems to be a refreshing C/T/M/H book with a well-developed plot. It also provides a good lesson that playing with fire is never safe. Nevertheless, this looks like a book I may enjoy. Thanks for your interesting review.
It was an enjoyable and interesting premise for a story. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

What an intriguing premise! A band of aspiring authors decided to stage a crime to get published. Thanks for this review.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

This seems like an interesting thriller. I am really intrigued. Great job with the review!
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

lavenderbooks20 wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 05:27 What an intriguing premise! A band of aspiring authors decided to stage a crime to get published. Thanks for this review.
The craziest plan to get a bit of attention- or maybe not so crazy after all. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!
Manali_DC

Post by Manali_DC »

anua24060 wrote: 24 Nov 2020, 23:29 This seems like an interesting thriller. I am really intrigued. Great job with the review!
Thank you for reading and leaving a comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”