Review by arshia_jagtap -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
arshia_jagtap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arshia-jagtap.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by arshia_jagtap -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else...

Post by arshia_jagtap »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's been a while since Galen stepped foot into the free land of Voulhire, but unfortunately for him, the more he falls in love with this new place, the more he begins to realise that it isn't all that it seemed. Dark secrets get darker, and strong enemies get stronger as he decides to journey to the nation's vibrant capital city in order to learn more about the place he has begun to call home.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz picks up right where it left us, exploring the mind of the most powerful and dangerous mage in Voulhire as he tries to figure out his next steps in changing the future of the kingdom. With each book in the series, our understanding of the characters' psyches deepens and we can almost sense why they think in a certain way. While this does happen organically as well, it is evident how the author really put the effort into fleshing out every single character in the story. They aren't shells suspended in time, but rather full entities with stories in their past that influence how they act.

The mystery surrounding the more enigmatic characters was peeled off like the layers of an onion in the most satisfying way; it didn't feel too rushed or too slow. We understood them when we were meant to, and this sense of timing was impeccable.

What was most enjoyable, however, was the socio-political and philosophical relevance of the developing storyline. Voulhire almost ceased to be this fantastical, faraway land, and instead became one with themes that hit very close to home. Of course, there was always the magical, mystical element, but the crises and problems the kingdom faced threw light (often in a satirical way) on those that we face as a global community.

To put it concisely, this is a book that makes you pause and think, and I have a deep respect for any book that can do so successfully.

Even so, there were parts of this book that I didn't like, and my main concern was the "show versus tell" factor. We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End had certain scenes that were, in my belief, very crucial to the story. As action scenes nearing the end of the book, they seemed like they were meant to be climactic, but the writing here fell short. There was a lot of 'telling' as opposed to 'showing', and it felt like I was being spoon-fed a food I didn't like in abrupt, big mouthfuls. It was only my love for the series and my general curiosity that made me brush past this complaint.

The editing for the books in the series gets better with each instalment, but I can't say that it was perfect for this one. There were a couple of errors and typos here and there, but not enough to influence my final verdict on the book.

The only thing pulling the rating down is my issue with the slightly disappointing writing in the climactic scenes, and with that, I rate We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End 3 out of 4 stars . I did love the book, and I'm definitely going to continue reading the next ones with (I predict) an increasing amount of fervour.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

A bit dark for my taste but your review is very insightful and comprehensive. Thank you for an honest review arshia🙂
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
arshia_jagtap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arshia-jagtap.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by arshia_jagtap »

Aniza Butt wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 00:03 A bit dark for my taste but your review is very insightful and comprehensive. Thank you for an honest review arshia🙂
I understand that! Thank you for the nice comment :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”