Review by Ellylion -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review by Ellylion -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the ...

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz, the sixth book of the We are Voulhire series, takes us to the magical world of Caromentis, where Galen pursues Lord Meldorath, the last hope for Voulhire.

Meanwhile, King Nartik and the leader of the knights of Chalethire, High Paladin Harper Renard, continue to resist the occupation of Voulhire by the enigmatic and horrendous Emperor of Lullabies. Their determination led to the gloomy events so as to the arrival of the new monsters, lurking in the dark corners of Soulhire.

At the same time, the beautiful city of Cridaea is also under occupation. But the enemy didn't take into consideration the brave and fierce protector of Cridaea, Lady Angela Velys, who accepted the challenge.

Demetrius and Rowan found shelter under the roof of the legendary Diamora in the very heart of the Dire Vine Jungle. But the evil hides somewhere in the depths of the Mianoran military academy, and Demetrius does his best to find and destroy it.

First and foremost, in this book, we finally meet a very positive and strong female character, represented by Angela Velys. She is ambitious and powerful, but unlike Harper Renard, Angela has a kind heart and knows for sure that love is a strength and not a weakness. Her personality is very inspiring and attractive. The author did a great job, developing Angela's character. I really loved following her adventures, and her storyline was my favorite in the book.

Another one great aspect of the book was the description of Caromentis. Again, the author's imagination had no bounds, and he managed to create the absolutely unique conception of this amazing place.

I also loved that Beth of Caromentis played a larger part in this book. The author allowed us to look at Caromentis from her perspective. This character develops in a promising way, and I am looking forward to her new escapades. Also, Beth's loyalty to Meldorath is very heart-warming.

What I disliked in this book was Harper, who sexually harassed and humiliated a servant. In my opinion, such scenes are really unnecessary and can decrease the overall quality of the series.

On the other hand, the scene with Harper in the toy shop, thinking that her younger brother, Darius, would love to have a wooden tower, was very moving. I liked her caring approach toward Darius very much.

The language of the book is simple and very beautiful. The writing style is engaging, and it changes from narrator to narrator. Considering that this book has many additional details and new characters, I highly recommend to read it after the previous five books of the series. This book cannot be seen as a stand-alone. The unexpected twists and turns at the end of the book predict many new unimaginable intrigues in the next books of the series.

Since I found just a few insignificant errors, I concluded that the book was professionally edited. Thus, I gave it 4 out of 4 stars.

The book has some instances of profanity and mild sexual content, so the very young or sensitive audience should avoid reading it. The book also includes scenes of violence, but they do not exceed the frames of the genre and are not too disturbing. In my opinion, this book is not offensive from the religious point of view.

I recommend this book to all fans of sci-fi novels, historical fiction, epic, and dark fantasy genres. Those who love reading horror stories would enjoy it as well.

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Matthew Tysz in a mater storyteller as he continues to impress with this series. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Saint Bruno wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 04:06 Matthew Tysz in a mater storyteller as he continues to impress with this series. Thanks for this wonderful review.
He truly is! Thank you very much for your kind words! :)
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I read this book but didn't enjoy that much. I found it boring. Great review
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 05:33 I read this book but didn't enjoy that much. I found it boring. Great review
Thank you!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your honest review. Frankly, I read this book before the 4th book, but I already felt that unlike Angela, Harper is not likable. So far, Angela is my favorite female character. I'm a little surprised to know her relationship with Rowan, but looking back, the author already gave hints in his early books.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

Great job with the review! I too am disturbed by Harper's behavior with the servant. Her character borders on problematic.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Sou Hi wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 20:31 Thanks for your honest review. Frankly, I read this book before the 4th book, but I already felt that unlike Angela, Harper is not likable. So far, Angela is my favorite female character. I'm a little surprised to know her relationship with Rowan, but looking back, the author already gave hints in his early books.
Angela is really great, I loved everything about her :D (Harper walks over corpses).
Thank you for your comments!
Last edited by Ellylion on 21 Sep 2020, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

anua24060 wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 23:40 Great job with the review! I too am disturbed by Harper's behavior with the servant. Her character borders on problematic.
I liked that she decided to resist the Emperor and how she cares about Darius, but that's all more or less good about her.
Thank you very much for your kind words! :)
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

I was not a fan of the harassment scene either. Nice review.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Hmmm, it seems that Matthew Tysz intentionally excluded female characters up to this point, but man... This Angela is strong! Standing against the emperor of lullabies? Fantastic review, Ellylion.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

pablo10 wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 03:39 I was not a fan of the harassment scene either. Nice review.
Thank you! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Olabode Joshua wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 05:01 Hmmm, it seems that Matthew Tysz intentionally excluded female characters up to this point, but man... This Angela is strong! Standing against the emperor of lullabies? Fantastic review, Ellylion.
Thanks so much! And yes, she's a great girl! :D
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This series is getting a lot of attention. I really have to join its band of admirers. I hope to read Book 1 in time for its BOTM stint next month.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Miriam Molina wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 12:43 This series is getting a lot of attention. I really have to join its band of admirers. I hope to read Book 1 in time for its BOTM stint next month.
They are quite short, book 1 has 120 pages if I remember correctly, so you have plenty of time to read it :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”