Review by CMcGoveran83 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CMcGoveran83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmcgoveran83.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by CMcGoveran83 -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of ...

Post by CMcGoveran83 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko was written by Matthew Tysz, and was published in 2019. Tysz was born in 1988 and was raised on Long Island, New York. He has had many twists and turns in his career, but writing is his first calling. He has written two series, and several standalone novels. This is the second in a nine-part We are Voulhire series. Six of the novels are currently in print and available on his website.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko continues the narrative where the first novel in the series ended. The novel introduces readers to the district of Virko, located north of Magnum Caelum, and the characters who live there. The dichotomy between good and evil factions continues. Readers meet several residents of Virko, including Lord Hans Hrelek and his father Venden, Kayden Morgan, Sod, among others. Characters who were already introduced in the previous novel include Galen, Rowan, and Lord Meldorath. The novel is a wonderful combination of spiritual, magical, scientific, and demonic elements.

My favourite parts of the novel are the ongoing interactions between Galen and Rowan. These scenes are very lighthearted, and provide levity to the plot. The duo is now joined by Demetrius, a monk whom they met on their adventures around Voulhire. This time their travels take them to Virko, where they are there to find answers, and gain prosperity for the future of Magnum Caelum. I look forward to the continuing relationship of these three characters.

My least favourite part of the book for me was the beginning. The plot of the story starts very slowly, and readers are brought into the middle of a scene that is already in progress. New characters are introduced in a way that is confusing, especially if you haven’t read the previous novel in the series.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this book! There are some minor profane language and references to sexual content throughout the book. Usually this bothers me, but the plotline of the book engaged me enough to overlook it. The fantasy aspects of the novel were great, and kept me interested in the plot. It was a nice escape from the realities of everyday life. The details in the book allowed readers to visualize the settings, and brought the characters and plot to life. I am excited to read the next novel in this series!

I would recommend this book to three main audiences. If you read the first book in the series, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies, then you will enjoy the second book. People who are interested in fantasy novels should consider reading this book. Readers who enjoy following multiple storylines throughout a novel and jumping from one character’s perspective to another would enjoy reading this book. This book is an easy read, while still being engaging enough to maintain interest throughout the entire novel.

Readers who are not interested in fantasy novels should stay away from this series. I also wouldn’t recommend this novel to readers who find it difficult to follow multiple plot lines happening at the same time. If you haven’t read the previous novel, I wouldn’t recommend jumping into this point in the series.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I agree, this book would be confusing to those who aren't familiar with the introductory book. I hope you continue the series and I'm sure there's a lot of things you're curious about! Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”